D-Link retail Ethernet to coax bridge suppose to come out soon.

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
giantjoebot Posted: Thu, Jan 17 2008 7:52 AM

I just read a small article that said D-Link is suppose to release a retail Ethernet to coax bridge soon, and its suppose to have 135MB speed.  That would solve so many problems when considering retrofitting a old house.  Instead of having to sun Ethernet all over the place you could simply use the existing coax cable.  At least  I think thats what it means.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30271/52/ 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

It still wouldn't work as most older homes have splitters and daisey chain alot. All runs would have to be home run. Now for newer homes that have only been prewired with coax and phone lines only it may work. I am sure there are some type of baluns already on the market that do this though as they have baluns for just about everything else.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115

The only ones that I have seen are really expensive, and have slow speeds, like 12MB.  I was thinking about the splitters, and was thinking that splitters at least usually aren't in walls, and can be taken out.

Personally I don't mind running cable under the eve of my roof, and have a 100 foot Ethernet line that connects one end to the other. 

By the way, what do you think of my new sig?   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Yeah good one's can be a bit pricey. I would have to look around and see what they top out out at as most of the one's I am used to seeing are for cat5 to hdmi or component or whatever not the other way around. Even still though unless you have fios ain't nobody seeing 12MB's anyway unless your talking about internal networks.

funny!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115

Oh damit, its 135Mbps.  that means only 17MB.  Duhhh.  Sometimes I get a little to excited.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS