Posts 92
Points 1,825
UnlikelyAura Posted: Thu, Jan 3 2008 11:14 PM

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 1,825

Hey everyone! I'm trying to install a sata 320 gb hdd as a slave. I have windows installed on a 160gb raptor. I am using a 680i mobo. I looked on the 320gb hdd and no jumper settings spot is on there. "My Computer" doesn't find it.  However everywhere else sees it so it is connected right.  But they are both masters i think. Can I change that w/o using a jumper? Cuz I don't have a little jumper piece, and my primary raptor has a spot for it but nothing in that spot. Any help soon would be highly appreciative!

Edit: Everytime I tried to post this thread, it wouldn't show any text after i clicked post, so this text is also posted in another thread.

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 306
Points 3,470

afaik sata doesn't do the whole master/slave deal

does it show up in the bios?  if not make sure the raid controller that handles your sata drive isn't disabled (i had this problem on a couple asus boards).

Phenom 9850 | Foxconn A79a-s | Visiontek 4870

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

if it shows up in the bios then you need to partition it in windows. then it will show up in "My Computer". Like ryan stated there is not master and slave in SATA its just how you set it up in the boot priority on the bios.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sat, Feb 23 2008 1:50 AM

Der Meister:

if it shows up in the bios then you need to partition it in windows. then it will show up in "My Computer". Like ryan stated there is not master and slave in SATA its just how you set it up in the boot priority on the bios.

Ditto =P. 

Just go into your hard drive manager. It's in your Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.  Once there, click disk management. If a setup windows pops up automatically, follow the steps, or just right click on the unallocated driver and format it to a NTFS partition. Don't do a full format, no need since it's a new disk, just run a quick format.

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Mar 14 2008 12:49 AM

Darn Kam...beat me to it. I deal with this almost on a daily basis -- serial HDDs run on their very own channels so each channel is unique to ONLY that specific drive whereas parallel drives use 2 devices per 1 channel. This is why you need to set up "slave/master" jumpers.

Think of it as a car -- IDE is like a 2-seated car; there is one driver and one passenger -- before you can drive/use the car you have to decide which person will drive and which person will ride (which device will be master, which device will be slave).

SATA is like a car with just one seat -- you don't need to assign roles because obviously there is only room for a driver and nothing else (everything is a "master" sort of).

BTW: if you just right-click on My Computer and go to "manage" that will load the management console; you just then navigate to storage and mount your new HDD (quick-format) <--- if you wanted a shortcut to what Kam said 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

ryan92084:

afaik sata doesn't do the whole master/slave deal

does it show up in the bios?  if not make sure the raid controller that handles your sata drive isn't disabled (i had this problem on a couple asus boards).

Really? Please enlighten me. I have a 250G SATA drive seperate from my raid 0(2x 150G raptors). The 250 drive is what my OS used to be installed on before I installed the RAID array. Now I can't seem to get the original drive to show up. I gave up a long time ago trying to get it to work. No matter what setting in bios I tried it would either remove my raid and show both of those drives seperate along with the 3rd drive or just show the raid 0 and not the 3rd drive. I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. So how did you fix this problem. I am curious cause I thought it was a lost cause.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Fri, Mar 14 2008 2:20 PM

Unfortunately, all the raid setups I've made were on boards that had 2 controllers. So I just set the Jbod and raid drives on separate controllers. But in terms of a single controller...you're forced one way or the other..JBOD or Raid...can't have both...

BUT...If I remember correctly, you could have it running on raid, then go into windows and set up a new raid device that isn't striped..so a single drive raid...That should atleast allow you to have all the drives running at once on the same controller..one drive a raid 0 by itself without striping =P...the other two in a raid 0 array striped. I remember reading this around a few places..so it should be doable (hopefully)... In terms of it not showing up, you'll need to set it up through your raid creation software if it comes with it...some controllers come with a raid management application...Or try the computer management's disk management..Or pay attention to the boot process after the bios, to see if a raid configuration post pops up....Those would be the three ways of making the raid...but yea..Not sure unless I had my hands on the system to work with it =P.

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I think you may have confused me a bit Kamrooz. So your saying I would have to redo my raid setup through the nvidia utility therefor having to reformat and reinstall or no? I'd have to go back in and see what options are in that utlity but I don't remeber seeing anything to add a second raid but your saying in order to see my 3rd Sata drive seperate from my raided raptors I would have to set up a second raid using just the extra 3rd drive?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sat, Mar 15 2008 11:00 PM

You wouldn't lose your data...this should be possible, I've heard it quite a few times but never experimented with it since I didn't have the need to. But basically go into your raid configuration..and setup your single 3rd drive as a raid 0 that isn't striped..This should atleast give you access to the drive in windows to use...although it isn't really "raided" considering it's a single drive =P...Keep me posted on this...and you WON'T lose data on your other raid as long as you leave it be =P.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

what about my 3rd drive. Will I loose the data on that?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Sun, Mar 16 2008 1:20 PM
If the 3rd drive has data...then yes...it would need to format it in order to setup a non striped raid 0. Hopefully your board is capable of doing this...As stated before, I've heard of this being done...But not many people do it.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS