NVIDIA's nForce 780i SLI Chipset Arrives

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,086
Points 1,183,270
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 18 2007 1:55 PM

The onslaught of new product releases for the holiday season continues, with the launch of NVIDIA's nForce 700 series of chipsets.  Just in case you skimmed past the fresh link at the top of the page, we’re here to let you all know that we’ve just posted a new article in which we evaluate the features and performance of NVIDIA’s nForce 780i SLI chipset using the brand new Asus P5N-T Deluxe motherboard.  We compare its performance to the nForce 680i SLI and X38 chipsets, outline the 780i SLI’s new features, and talk a bit about the mainstream 750i SLI chipset as well.  Click the link below and check it out...

NVIDIA's nForce 780i SLI Chipset Arrives

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

from the looks of it then itd dosent look like its worth the $80 it would cost me to upgrade my 680i to the 780i... i was waiting for this review to see if it was going to be worth my $80 cost to upgrade... thanks guys!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I'm happy with my board 4 now, but from a superficial standpoint that board looks pretty bitchin!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Wed, Dec 19 2007 10:41 PM

Hi All,

Me too.  

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Thu, Dec 20 2007 4:38 AM

3 way SLI... outdone by the Canadians!

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
Lithotech replied on Sat, Dec 22 2007 9:53 PM

The ESA is very interesting to me, I am a sensor nut. Confused  More on that later.

I thought I saw some beta software or drivers for 3way SLI and/or ESA for the 680i chipset, I don't recall the details but if I run into it again I'll return to post. I think it's great that nV is at least attempting to add what they can to the 680i, and also eVGA for offering a step-up to the new board at what I feel is quite fair of a price. When you look at the shipping they are covering, something they don't normally do for step-up (correct me if I am wrong), and the current street prices for the 780i, it is allowing you to get top dollar for your old board (if not as much as what you paid for it!), which is something of a challenge when trying to sell it privately or on the net.

I have an eVGA 680i A1, but I'll wait a couple months before considering a step-up. The only reason being to allow for some of the growing pains to pass via BIOS updates and maybe hardware revisions.

Lifetime warranty on these, this step-up program calls in a number of 680i's, what will they do with all the old boards? Collecting up and eliminating possible warranty work? Refurbish and resell them? Strip them for parts? Anyone know? 

The 780i doesn't (yet) have anything I need that my 680i doesn't already have, but that will change when I pair up a couple of PCIe2 vid cards not too far down the road. As I understand the backward compatibility of PCIe2 can (or does) pose problems when running in 32x SLI. Single cards, no problemo, 8x8x I believe no problemo (again, pls correct if I am wrong). I plan to get the first card early next year, the second a few months later. This would be delayed a bit if I cough out the $80 to step up, but worth it if I need the PCIe2 anyway.

Penryn-wise, I am looking at about this time next year. It will certainly cost me at that point to move up, and while the 780i may have come down in price by then, my 680i will be worth even less. The $80 step-up seems even more appealing.

This time next year, will nV have the 880i out yet? If one were not planning to use a step-up now, one should be waiting for the next chipset me thinks. I (hopefully) imagine that eVGA will offer another step-up at that time, I think I would probably go for it too.

It's the ESA that really interests me. I can see it'll be a while till some interesting products hit the market, so it's no reason to jump on the 780i just for that. But, I doubt that the $300 case Fred or Joe may have just bought will need replacing just to have it featured in with the rest of the ESA devices, because there will surely be a variety of kits available to add to a case and make it ESA compatible. Indeed, with Thermaltake and Cooler Master on board for this, these kits may be better than the included features with most other cases. At least, that is my hope. You can see where this is leading to, if you just take a look at the myriad of USB devices available today, there is no reason each and every one of them couldn't be produced with an ESA feature or two.

As I stated, I am a sensor nut, so I'll absolutely want control and feedback of cooling functions, power loads, even DVD rpms if I can have em! Oh yeah baybuh, and I want data readouts sent to my G15 keyboard LCD... or will that be G1500 by then? For me, it'll be fun to slowly accumulate ESA parts as things get upgraded now and then, or swapped out as even newer ESA parts come out. I'll take my time as I do now, and one part at a time put in as much ESA as is available and interesting.

I hope it becomes as customizable as it can be diverse. In that, I mean things like the nV control panel becomes skinnable, plugins and other software by other companies that can also access everything with improved GUIs and fuctionality.

Microsoft should make Vista ESA compatible, so it can show you how many errors per hour you are getting. Stick out tongue

It'll be a huge letdown for me if this doesn't fly. I truely think it is a great idea, and can't wait to see what some of the manufacturers are cooking up right now in R&D. Only time will tell, and in the meantime I've still got some hefty goals to achieve like the 2x PCIe2 cards and all the gaming and testing funnage that will bring. 

You don't learn by getting things right the firsss... errr, third time!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,563
Points 54,725
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Dec 23 2007 12:21 PM
No question about it, there are going to be a lot of interesting new toys come Q108. We'll likely have some juicy details after CES in January. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS