My Gaming Rig

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
mythrandyr Posted: Sat, Dec 15 2007 7:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Im new here so first off let me say hello to all of you and introduce you to my system that i am still working on modifying:

24" Silver Mirai Monitor

Creative Gigaworks 7.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Mouse

Razer Mantis Mouse Mat

Logitech G15 Rev 2 Keyboard

Thermaltake Armor Silver LCS Super Tower Case (with built in water cooling system)

Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Modular PSU

Asus Maximus Formula SE Intel X38 PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Memory

2 Asus 2900 XT Graphics Cards run in crossfire mode

1 Asus Xonar D2

BT Home Hub on an 8MB Broadband Connection

3 Western Digital Raptor X in Raid0

2 Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170S 18x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriters

thats my rig anyways, im thinking about upgrading one more Raptor X to make it 4 and including a Zalman Reserator 1 V2 external water cooling kit.  I cant use 4GB of memory either because the length of the Xonar sound card which interferres with one of the ram slots, and since i can only place the sound card in the top PCI slot on the motherboard due to the motherboards architecture and the room within the case itself there really is no way to have avoided it.

laters,

Myth,

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

nice, 4 raptors thats  going to be hot running, but very fast 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 275
~Max~ replied on Tue, Dec 18 2007 12:06 PM

Nice one, I guess there is no price limit on this project ;)

Still - If this is a gaming rig I would rather get X-Fi Gamer- instead of Xonar D2.
Xonar D2 might be better for certain things especially home theater PC when you use a receiver and send dolby signal via optical cable. But you are getting a very good analog set so no use  for  dolby live over digital etcetera..
Sure Xonar analog specs are not bad either but it lacks hardware processing (full EAX HD, OpenAL)  of the X-Fi range.
Overall X-Fi is much better value - e.g. X-Fi Xtreme Gamer costs  $50-70. If you must spend over $100 on a sound card then X-Fi Fatal1ty is an option, too.

3 GB RAM is OK but not spectacular unlike the rest of this gig so consider getting more of that.

my rig: P4 Northwood@2.3GHz, MS7005 board, Geforce5900, 512 MB Corsair value RAM.
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135

Hi guys,

To be honest i dont think that the raptor's run that hot, but the performance of them is phenomenal, that is deffinately the one aspect of this system that i would'nt change for love nor money infact i am considering replacing my two sata dvd rom drives with another 2 raptors and having a total of six raptor drives installed.

The Xonar that i am using only uses 5.1 sound with my current speaker set up since i am missing one of the audio jacks but the sound quality is fantastic on the Creative Gigaworks speakers that i have with 7.1 i should be able to rock the street while im playing unreal tournament 2007 Big Smile, the main reason's why i didnt go for the X-FI series are a:)  i did'nt think that i would get much more performance out of this system for what the x-fi processor technology is worth  b:)  i could'nt afford the model i wanted since i would only ever buy the Elite version  (i have high standards, like you would'nt believe, how many people would want an external water cooling system?  yet alone be able to afford one?) c:)  the look of the Xonar when it's all hooked up puts the X-FI to shame, expecially the back lighting.

also i could not have the maximum of 4 GB of memory in this system, i do have 4GB of that memory but one stick had to be removed since it interferred with the sound card and since i only have one PCI slot that i can use or an onboard PCI-E sound card the choice is an easy one to make, no way am i using onboard sound.  Besides which i will be upgrading to DDR3 next year anyway. 

Over all i think what i am going to do next is get a zalman reserator 1 V2 external liquid cooling system, a new DDR3 motherboard (which one i dont know yet) and a couple of GB DDR3 memory to get me off the ground, i should hopefully have all of this by the time that Intel release there new 45NM processors, then let the good time's roll Big Smile.

laters,

Myth.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Hows that Asus Maximus Formula Working out for you?Im interested  in it or the Asus Blitz formula!  What kind of price did you get it for cause I,m looking to buy something soon! Point me  to some sites with some good prices!  Also I,m going for Intel core2 duo E8400 wolfdale.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

The E8400 is a great dual core cpu which OC's like crazy, but is plenty fast @ stock!

I purchase all my PC hardware from Newegg as do many others here at the forums.

Asus makes good boards, but I personaly would go for an Intel chipset over Nvidia unless you really want to run sli or at least have the option.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies, there has been a few changes to my system since the last time that i posted.  I usually buy all of my components from overclockers.co.uk, they always have what i need, are reasonably priced and have occassional special deals.

I have upgraded some of the components on my rig, i now have the Thermaltake Tai Chi Super Tower Case (i was going to get the Thermaltake Sword but they were £100 more than the Tai Chi), an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz processor (with 6mb L2 cache and 45nm) and 2 PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3870 XT Extreme (512MB version) graphics cards. 

One note about the Tai Chi though, even though it keep's my cpu temp down to 21C, the fins at the front of the case are a complete pain in the ***, to be completely honest i think that it is the only part of the case that is a let down and i do not understand why they have to keep putting "door's" over the drive bay's/power switch because unless you leave the computer on continuously you have to keep moving the case back and forth in order to open the case door's, in future build's i sincerely hope that they abandon that concept in favour of a more 'standardised' model as it accomplishes little more than showing the case off rather than what it is actually capable of (which they cant be too concearned about otherwise they would have included a plastic side panel and better/more led's with the case).  But all in all, for £220, this case is the dog's ***'s

The only thing that i know for certain is that this year i am going to upgrade to a complete Raptor X system, by definition what i mean is that i am going to get one of the Gigabyte X48 chipset boards that have 8 sata ports and then include another 3 Raptor X HDD's, it is the only board that i know of that has 8 sata ports which is enough to run 6 Raptor's and 2 Sata DVD writers.  Now i know a lot of people will mention the heat and the noise but the performance of them is incredible and from what i can tell, only surpassed by solid state hard disks, which coincidentaly only go up to 64MB and cost around £550 making them completely impracticle, atleast from what i can acertain.

As for other upgrades the only other thing that i am going to do is buy 8GB of G.Skill PC2-8000C5 and upgrade to windows vista.  I am not interested in DDR3 at the minute for the cost vs performance issue, it does'nt seem worth while and while motherboard manufacturers are still making latest chipset boards compatible with DDR2 and im also not big on graphics lately either, i think that for the price increase the 1GB ATI card's are a tad expensive considering that the two card's i recently bought cost me less than one of the 1GB version card's and still out perform some GT's and GTX's from what i have read of reviews.

Btw, the Maximus board is working like a charm but i am a little dubious about the air cooling for the Southbridge (as the box contains a fan that can be attatched around that area to cool the SB), if possible i would sincerely recommend trying to get that puppy water cooled as both the NB and SB have gone up to around 50C in this rig and i also had to have the Bios flashed in order to use the Wolfdale that i have, but other than that its a great board.

You know what the worst part is, and this is going to make you laugh, i am only playing one game on this rig at the minute and that is world of warcraft.

laters,

Myth.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Fri, Feb 29 2008 8:45 PM

Holy wow man. That's quite an impressive rig there. But is there really a need for so many raptor drives? If I had tons of cash to spend, I'd end up just getting two, one for Xp and one for vista, page file on the opposite drive, and a couple of 1tb drives for storage =P. Regardless though, a beast of a rig =D. Make sure you also give the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude a look...The power of X-Fi without the crappy drivers from creative ^_^. But the major downside is if you're going vista...Considering the issues with OpenAL and the need for the alchemy application for creative cards. The prelude should be the same also, but not necessarily sure.

Welcome aboard man =D... 

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

mythrandyr  What size raptors are u using?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 155
Cmoazz replied on Sat, Sep 13 2008 11:24 PM

How's the build coming along? I want to see pictures of this.

I really need to win one of those contests.

Current Spec's - eMachines T4160:
1.6-GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40GB hard drive, 16X/10X/40X CD-RW drive, NVidia TNT-based graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM

Waiting for Nehalem to do my first build!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135

hi guys,

sorry for the long reply amdcrankitup, i am using 3 150gb Raptor X HDDS all in raid 0.

well Cmoazz, the buildings finished now, been complete for about 5-6 months but i don't have any photo's available yet and the only camera i got is a crappy 2 megapixel camera on my nokia phone, and i doubt that will do it justice.

I think i am abandoning water cooling to be honest.  With the heat emitted from the EMI shield of the Xonar sound card, the 3 Raptor X hdd's and the crossfire ATI graphics card's my motherboard is showing signs of big time wear so what i am intending to do, by the end of this year, is redesign my rig in accordance with top notch air cooling.  By doing that then i should not have to worry about having enough internal cooling since the water cooling rig only directly cools the main processor unless you modify the heatsink on you're graphics card and add some cooling to the hard disk drives. 

True, water cooling keeps my cpu temps down to below 25oC but it can be costly if the coolant damages any of you're components or if you have to transport you're rig anywhere, i.e. to event's or to the repair shop, and then their is the problem of the pump blowing or the pipes becoming gunged up with bacteria etc...  also the part's can be quite hard to get hold of, for example, i needed some tubing for the water cooling kit and decided to go to pc world to see if they had any in stock, when i got their they basically laughed me out of the shop.

So air cooling is, i think in fact, still the best way to proceed.  It might not stay as cool as water cooling but it still has too many pros to ignore and what sort of a drastic difference does 7-8oC make anyway?  Keeping in mind that i don't over clock my systems.

I'm going to base my new system on the antec skeleton chassis even though they are still on pre-order from overclockers.  But with that in mind, by the end of the year what i hope to have is the following kit, i already have the motherboard, the memory and the hard disk drives, and i will be getting the case, psu, dvd and floppy disk drives and cooler at the end of the month:

1 X Antec Skeleton Performance Chassis

1 X Zalman ZM850-HP Heatpipe Cooled 850W Modular PSU

1 X 3.33Ghz E8600 Wolfdale processor

1 X Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler

1 X MSI X48C Platinum Motherboard compatible with both DDR2 and DDR3 memory

4 X OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Platinum

3 X 150GB Raptor X HDD's

2 X Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriters

1 X Scythe Card Reader

1 X Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics Card

1 X Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card

all together this little rig should pop out at around £900, it would be cheaper but i don't know if my current thermaltake psu will fit into that chassis and i want the processor with it's new EO Speedstepping architecture over the one i have which is the E8500 also, even though it does not have the same cache, the E8600 is still faster than the Extreme processors in terms of clock speed.

And i don't know why, but as soon as i saw that antec skeleton, i felt that is the chassis for me.  Even though the tai chi case is nice the features of the skeleton chassis are just so much nicer and it looks awesome.  It say's that you don't need a fan on the main CPU since the case has a top 250mm tri colour led fan but i figure i can get the temps on my cpu down to the equivical of my watercooled rig by adding that thermaltake cooler to it, if it will fit. 

Everything in the case is practically hot swappable which is ideal but it is, apparently, not suitable for the new 2.5" form factor hdd's such as solid state or the new velociraptors which is rather dissapointing and also the reason why i am sticking to the raptor's that i currently have, i guess i'm just going to have to be happy with them all being raid 0 for now.  it also has a detachable hdd fan and side racks for mounting up to a maximum of 6 HDD's allowing plenty of upgradeability or, as they said on youtube, using as a server.  But other than that, the case is awesome, i doubt i will go for crossfire again due to bad experiences with my current setup but if i do their is enough room in that case to provide crossfire. The only problem that i can fortel is dust, but that is not hard to deal with.  Like i say though, should cost me little over £900 but with a little luck and a lot of elbow grease i will get it all sorted for christmas, maybe even next month if fate favours me.

laters,

Myth.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Never heard of the skeleton before today. Just went to look @ pix of it and I must say it's freakin awesome!

Check it out ppl: LINK

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135

hahaha, see why i like it?  just a pitty that their is no support for 2.5"  hdd's limiting it's future proofing, there are video's of it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=antec+skeleton&search_type=&aq=0&oq=antec+skel

laters,

Myth

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS