Testing a new system...

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
BlueJaya Posted: Wed, Nov 7 2007 9:54 AM

Dear All,

Following some good advice received a while back from Marco on and off this site, I finally took the plunge and built my first system.

The configuration is as follows:

Type   Quantity   Model 

Case                1  Lian Li PC-V1100B 

PSU                1  Enermax - Infiniti Power Supply, 650W 

Mother Board                1  Gigabyte - GA-X38-DQ6 

Processor                1  Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz/4MB 

Cooler                1  Thermaltake - MaxOrb 

RAM                2  Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Kit, DDR2-1066 

1st Drive - O/S only                1  Raptor sATA 150GB/16MB - 10000RPM 

Optical drives                2  Plextor DVD-Recorder PX-810SA schwarz 

Video card                1  MSI - GeForce NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD-OC  

A couple of points from my experience building this system:

1) The power supply is a little too large for the case.  It fits but the cables cannot be plugged into the sockets of the PSU.  I had to remove the partition between the drive cages and the PSU area and even one of the two drive cages (which is not a problem for me as my storage is centralised - but it may be an issue for most people).

2) The board is mounted upside down and hence the processor end of the board is close to the separation betwen the PSU/HDD part of the case and the MoBo part of the case.  This is not an issue but the MaxOrb cooler if mounted as delivered by Thermaltake has the knob to set the fan speed on the side of the partition, hence the board cannot be mounted.  It is necessary to unscrew the fan and turn the retention bracket that the MaxOrb uses to fix itself to the mounting bracket, by 180 degrees.  It then fits, but only just.

These were really small things (if they could be solved by a new guy to building systems like me), and the whole system seems to work very well.

The O/S is Vista Home Premium.

I would have a question.

The system feels pretty fast to me even without OC but I would like to make sure that it is performing as expected.

Which tests would you recommend I run on the system to check its performance and what values should I expect or compare against?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards.

Massimo.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

3Dmark06 is a great way to test gaming performance as well as overall system performance. It can be downloaded free and is respected throughout the industry. It is used by this site and most others in their reviews of both cpus and gpus. Download it from here. As far as what score you should expect, I would say no less than 8,500 and maybe as high as 10,000+... just an estimate mind you, but I'm fairly certain the range is accurate.

You can test cpu and ram performance with another highly respected and widely used piece of benchmarking software called Super Pi. It can be set to calculate Pi up to 32 million digits, but the 1 million digit mark is most commonly used and compared. It can be downloaded for free from here. The score you should expect for the 1 million digit calculation probably shouldn't exceed 30 seconds, but will most likely be less.

There are some very popular games that have built in benchmarking utilities as well. The ever popular Counter Strike source is one of these and the numbers will depend on what settings you use. F.E.A.R. is another example which is more graphically intense. Nowadays even some game demos include benchmark options. World in Conflict and Crysis are two such demos.

Have fun!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS