Asus Eec 701 PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610
Thunder Chunks Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2007 3:45 PM

Is anybody looking at getting (or already have hold of an early release) Asus Eec PC?

I was looking at getting hold of a Mac Book in the New Year simply however my main use would have nearly always been internet browsing. At a quarter of the price and half of the size the Eec seems to be an almost too perfect substitute. I also love the idea of having a Linux OS to mess around with. It should also be able to run apps such as GIMP and Inkscape.

If anybody has one or has ordered one can you let me know what you think of it?

For those of you who havent seen the light THIS LINK provides a comprehensive overview (apologies if Ive missed a review already posted).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Sat, Nov 3 2007 9:34 PM

Ummm....our latest review is on this very model.  Check the top of the Latest Hothardware Articles section on the main page.  Been there since 11/1 ;).  Davo did a complete review and a hellova job at that! 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Cheers Jeff, as I said in my first post apologies if I had missed any reviews:).

Yeah, one of the most comprehensive reviews Ive read. Just for your info they have managed to run Ubuntu on it as well and it worked very well. Think I will wait for the 8gb model to surface first (hopefully in black!)....

CLICK HERE. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

A larger SSD drive would be nice but you could just put a SD card in the SD slot [it supports those big HD SD cards I hear] and put all your data on that instead of on the drive... That's at least how I would think about using it. I was very interested in something like this before I was given a 12" HP business laptop from someone who upgraded. I was actually looking at the UMPC's but deemed them too expensive and stuff like the Nokia internet tablet didn't have enough functionality for my tastes.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 10 2007 10:19 AM

There is definitely one SD slot on the unit, right here:

http://www.hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_sideports.jpg&articleid=1047&t=a

But of course you can also attach any USB storage device to the USB2.0 ports, including thumb drives.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Tue, Nov 13 2007 11:35 AM

Davo:

There is definitely one SD slot on the unit, right here:

http://www.hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_sideports.jpg&articleid=1047&t=aA

But of course you can also attach any USB storage device to the USB2.0 ports, including thumb drives.

Any idea if the SD slot support those 4g and larger SDHC cards? That would be cool.

As for using a USB drive with one end of the drive sticking out a few inches its just asking to get broken while moving the laptop around.  Thats whats nice about using the SD card in the SD card slot its flush with the side of the system and doesn't protrude.

just my 2 cents.. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS