Zalman Z-Machine GT1000

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2007 1:08 PM

We have just posted a new article here at HotHardware featuring the Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 case, which Zalman labels a "High End Gaming Enclosure."  This case is made from aluminum, but it bucks the lightweight trend of typical aluminum cases due to it being constructed of metal that is 4-5mm thick.  In addition to its high quality, thick aluminum construction, the GT1000 offers plenty of cooling and innovative tool-less installation options.

The GT1000 comes in two different colors: titanium and black. The case features two 92mm intake fans in the front and one 120mm rear exhaust fan. The titanium model features blue LED fans, and the black one sports red LED fans. We have the black model on our bench today, and a quick glance reveals that this case has a lot of potential.  Click the link below and take a look...

Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 High End Gaming Enclosure

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Wed, Oct 17 2007 3:51 PM
after going through it, i think the bottom hard drive option is the best i've seen, i never completely fill the bottom hard drive section simply for air flow and cooling reasons, i would run 5 drives, in raid 5 with parity, 3 in the stack and 2 on bottom, it's an awesome feature

price, not so much

but i can't tell you how much i love no system speaker, finally no 1983 style beeping, i got rid of my modem a long time ago, it's time to get rid of this ancient thing also, led post code readings are the future, and i think replace system speaker needs.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Fri, Oct 19 2007 11:38 PM
That's a good point about the bottom drives and cooling. I'll have to keep that in mind as I build my system in that case. :)

You also make a good point about the speaker, but not every mobo has LEDs on it for POST code readings. So what do you do for them?

Regaring price, yeah, it's definitely hard to swallow.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

So many reviews of this case and most including this one overlook a most glaring fault. This is a case that aspires to be a premium gamer's chassis and the folks at hothardware have evaluated it on the basis of ". . . various areas of design, including cooling, tool-less installation, and style". Too bad long term functionality is not as heavily weighted.

To be fair, the reviewers at hothardware are not alone. Look anywhere and you will find the seemingly willful neglect to identify this design fault.

What am I talking about? Dust control. Simple air filters. For quite some time design considerations centered on a cases's "light show" characteristics have trumped the need for this protective measure. Where air enters a case a filter is required. Ignoring this leads to early component failure and if you think opening the case once a year for a thorough swiffering is a good back up plan, forget it. Damage is done. By that time dust has entered your optical drives and affected servos and optics. It has reduced the effiency of your expensive CPU and GPU coolers and increased heat has prematurely aged the components you're trying to protect.

All case designers know this and so should the good folks at hothardware etal. Use air filters. Keep them clean and replace them when necessary.

Any case that does not have air filters on their intakes cannot be recommended. Period.

No pressure. No diamonds.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS