The ultimate tech support question

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640
hotmomgeek Posted: Tue, Sep 11 2007 8:37 PM

So I call INTEL because the Core 2 Duo I just got out of the box doesn't work on the ASUS board I just pulled out of the box.  They give me the brilliant answer of "Update the MB Bios".  I love Tech Support like that.  Being in TS for 10 years now I know how stupid it is to give an answer like that and wash my hands of a pesky customer.  OK, so where do I get a chip that DOESN'T require the updated bios but still fits the 775 socket and not spend a fortune doing it?  Is there a place that RENTS low end chips?  This has got to be the most ridiculous situation I've ever been in, technically speaking.  I have lots of OLD parts laying around, but generally speaking, nothing new enough to fit either of these items.  That was the whole reason for buying them.  Can I send back an INTEL chip covered in Thermal Paste and get my money back?  'Cause I'm ready to GIVE UP! 

I guess I should ask "The" question then.  How does one update the MB Bios when one cannot get the MB to boot when the Chip is in the socket?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 693
Points 8,400
Russman113 replied on Tue, Sep 11 2007 11:32 PM

What kind of motherboard do you have?  

Athlon FX 60
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 DR-SLI Expert
2 GB corsair pc3200 XMS c2 plat @ 2-3-2-6
Leadtek 8800gts
Special Edition Caviar 80GB / WD SATA 2 120gb
NEc 16x DVD RW
16x Sony DVDRom
620 Enermax Liberty
MSN Messenger: RussNordy@gmail.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Sep 12 2007 10:44 AM

If you're certain the CPU you have is not defective, your problem is that you called Intel for tech support.   Asus is the company that should be helping you.  What often happens is a motherboard has been sitting on a shelf somewhere when new processors are released, and the BIOS installed on said board doesn't support the new CPUs.  If you can't get your hands on an older / supported CPU to update the BIOS yourself, Asus will be able to send you a new BIOS eeprom to replace the one that's already on your mobo.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

BigWop:

If you're certain the CPU you have is not defective, your problem is that you called Intel for tech support.   Asus is the company that should be helping you.  What often happens is a motherboard has been sitting on a shelf somewhere when new processors are released, and the BIOS installed on said board doesn't support the new CPUs.  If you can't get your hands on an older / supported CPU to update the BIOS yourself, Asus will be able to send you a new BIOS eeprom to replace the one that's already on your mobo.

I guess that's why you left that little office in Westchester all those years ago and I'm still working for them.  :)  I wouldn't have known that.  I've had my head buried in diapers for the last two years.  But even an old hag like me can still learn.  Thanks for the knowledge.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Sep 12 2007 2:49 PM

Whoa...freaked me out for a second there!  Is this Karen?  You're a mom? :)  Give me the scoop!

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Wed, Sep 12 2007 4:56 PM

Can't remember the last time I've called tech support. They're always useless. 

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

BigWop:

Whoa...freaked me out for a second there!  Is this Karen?  You're a mom? :)  Give me the scoop!

Caught!  Briefly:  2005 Married the Harley Davidson Man.  2006 Perfect Baby Boy.  2007 Beat Cancer.   Life is in progress.  Hope all is great with you and your family too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Sep 13 2007 10:14 AM

Wow, sounds like a busy few years.  I hope you're all better now and doing well...

I also got married in '05, in '06 bought my first house and moved to CT, Wifey finished her MBA in '07 and you can probably guess what's next. :)

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640
hotmomgeek replied on Thu, Sep 20 2007 12:45 PM

The adventure is just beginning...

Well, I got the new Bios Chip and I still have the same problem.  Any other ideas?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Oct 3 2007 3:25 PM

The best bet for you is to find a local pc computer shop.  They should be able to test a working cpu in your board, and test your cpu in a working motherboard and if they have to update the bios on your board for you to get your chip working with it.  You need to find out if either of those parts are not working, and aside from buying more stuff this would be the easiest route.  By local shop i mean NO best buy, circuit city, etc. You will find the people in the smaller shops easy to talk to and they should be able to help you figure out what is what with minimal cost or do it for free if you are nice about it.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

Intel replaced the chip and I still get the same result.  The MB (Asus P5WDG2 WS PRO) fires for a moment and then shuts down again.  Asus is going to test the board.  The techs at Asus treated me like I was an idiot.  The first guy told me my 600watt PSU wasn't enough power for the MB and chip to start up, then the second guy told me the chip was over-heating in less than a second.  I almost asked him if I could speak to his mother about his manners.  Punk.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Oct 12 2007 4:45 PM

Which exact CPU do you have?  Your motherboard doesn't support Core 2 Duo processors with 1333MHz FSB speeds.

Have you tried installing the RAM in different configurations?  Are you using two sticks of RAM?

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

BigWop:

Which exact CPU do you have?  Your motherboard doesn't support Core 2 Duo processors with 1333MHz FSB speeds.

Have you tried installing the RAM in different configurations?  Are you using two sticks of RAM?

Now they tell me.  Both Intel and Asus say the MB and CPU are compatible.  Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 1066 FSB.  If MB and Chip don't go together, I'll shoot someone at New Egg, they sold them as a combo.  ERG!  I don't have the RAM even on the board.  I've scaled this down as much as possible.  If I scale it down further, I'll be trying to fire up air.  I feel like the Marx Brothers trying to make fruit salad.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 640

Well, Asus sent me a brand new board, and this one actually starts up with all my components attached.  But I have no video, the CDRom won't open unless I disconnect the cable from the MB and the harddrive has no power.  One of chips on the MB is so hot it burned my hand when I accidentally touched it but the rest of the board is cold.

I really don't have time for this.  I've had these components three months with no working machine.  I'm boxing it all up and sending them all back.  I'd rather have no computer then this much frustration.  Thanks for all your help guys.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS