This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C Posted: Mon, Sep 10 2007 12:04 AM

Hello All,

AMD has officially taken the wraps off their new series of Opteron processors today and have released their first native quad-core processor to the wild.  Welcome to the jungle Barcelona. 

We cover specific architecture details, processor model numbering, speeds and feeds of the new Barcelona core Opertons and even offer a glimpse of what's on the horizon with AMD’s Shanghai and Sandtiger cores.

Here's a Snip:

"In a move reminiscent of their campaign from long ago to debunk the "megahertz myth" with processor performance rating-type model numbers, AMD is announcing a new power consumption metric called "ACP" or "Average CPU Power".  AMD claims historically that they took a much more conservative approach with providing measurements for traditional TDP (Thermal Design Power) ratings, opting to list worst case, maximum numbers versus Intel's average or "typical" rating guidelines.  As a result, AMD's processor architecture, at least on paper, appeared significantly more power hungry than it was in practice."

You can read the rest right here.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Looks like AMD isn't neccessarily trying to compete for the "raw power/performance" edge, but rather new tech/features and gigahert for gigahert/clock for clock performance.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Tue, Sep 11 2007 12:39 AM

I just hope they get competitive again.  I am sure most of us remember how horrible an Intel dominated market was. Prices of CPU's used to be insane.

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS