Best free software?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB Posted: Thu, Aug 16 2007 8:35 AM

Guys, I'm building a basic PC for a kid in my neighborhood who can't afford one.  I have a copy of XP to put on there, but need to rely on open source stuff for the rest.  I put VLC player and the latest Open Office on there, but would like some suggestions on other good essentials.  I aIso put AVG on there for AV, but need a good CD burning title and if anyone has any suggestions on free educational titles geared toward high school and college, that would be great too.  They have no internet connection, so everything needs to be installed locally. 

Oh yeah, any pointers on a really cheap, decent printer?

Thanks All! 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

He can use Windows Media Player to burn music and just do the good ol' "drag and drop to burner" method for burning files. If he needs to burn images look into isoburner.

For cheap decent printers check you local Wal-Mart. I was in there the other day and they had some gray Lexmarks going for $15. The replacment ink costs almost triple what you pay for the printer! :)

Also, I've personally never been in one, but this lady that I work with picked up a pretty nice HP printer from Goodwill for $3. It worked great and was in great condition cosmetically. She also told me you can buy software and games there now also.

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Thu, Aug 16 2007 10:29 AM

Hey, thanks for the input.  I opted to just give her my Epson 777i, I never use it.  I think native burning in XP should be adequate, it never crossed my mind this AM, the coffee hadn't kicked in yet :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,063
Points 46,755
Elsparrow replied on Thu, Aug 16 2007 11:23 AM

They have no internet connection,

Bit pointless having an Antivirus on there, as it will never get the virus definition updates if it's never connected. . .  I'd recommend Avast! over AVG having used both as well.

7Zip is a free compression tool, can handle .rar files etc and is pretty good.

For website work (if the kid ever has IT lessons covering that) something like NVU or Evrsoft First Page 2006 would be a good choice.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Comodo for a firewall....

Inkscape and GIMP for graphics......

CCleaner  for....... cleaning and stuff:) 

For burning ISOs I use the Microsoft Power toy ISO burner, very simple to use and works very well. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 9,580
Eric replied on Thu, Aug 16 2007 1:36 PM

If you can find a Canon i550, it is the best economical printer i have ever come across (only 7 dollars for a ink cartridge!!!!) and the quality is pretty decent.

Registry Mechanic is always a good utility to have.

I agree with Elsp the Avast is better for a AV.

Other than that I'd say we have a pretty decent list so far... ill add if i tihnk of any more.

My Rig: -AMD Athlon 64 3200 "Venice" -ASUS A8n SLI -2 gigs GelL RAM - XFX 6800GS XXX Edition - Thermaltake 450 watt PSU
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Fri, Aug 17 2007 12:35 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input guys, it was helpful.  I'll check out Avast.  Anything in particular that makes it better than AVG?  Even though she won't have a connection, she will be transferring files from multiple computers, so I want something in place just to be safe.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Fri, Aug 17 2007 1:38 PM

Instead of VLC player I'd recommend MPC, also open source. More compatibility.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Auslogic's Registry Defrag is also a smart little free app. It maybe a placebo but I think it made a difference with my machine.

As for AVG v Avast, I simply find Avast cleaner and simpler to use. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Sorry to revive an old thread guys. I have Vista installed and my current firewall and Vista just do not get along. IE and Firefox both crash and Vista tells me its the firewalls fault. Thunder said Comodo up there for a firewall, is it Vista compatable and good is it? Any other recommendations for a Vista firewall?

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 408
Points 4,500
Sam replied on Mon, Sep 3 2007 11:58 AM

comodo is supposed to be the best one out there. i used it for a while, but it messed up my internet, so i stopped. however, there's bitdefender 10 free edition. it's supposed to have a firewall with it as well. i'm downloading it right now.  Heres the link if you're interested.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 973
Points 10,040
bibite replied on Tue, Sep 4 2007 1:07 PM

I'm late to this topic as well, but if it can be of use to anyone else, I've been using paint.net for graphics for the last little while, I prefer it to GIMP. I find it's more intuitive to use.

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

I second paint.net for graphics work, or irfanview if you just need a great viewer with minimal editing capabilities.

CDBurnerXP: http://cdburnerxp.se/ for burning CDs if ever a need for something with more control than XPs built-in capabilities, it can also make bootable CD/DVDs and burn ISO images.

ISO Recorder if you just need a quick way to burn ISOs, or ImgBurn

Audacity for sound file editing.

Foxit Reader if you want a better PDF viewer than Acrobat Reader.

Truecrypt for disk encryption

Filezilla for an FTP client/server

Miro, FireAnt or Juice as a podcatcher.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 946
Points 16,610

Enter I don' t believe that the current 2.4 build of Comodo is Vista compliant (or any 64 bit os). However the new beta for Comodo 3 is compliant across the board and well worth a look.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS