Shortcuts

SLI- Ready Memory

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 1,825
UnlikelyAura Posted: Mon, Jul 30 2007 2:11 PM

Hey.. I was looking at either these RAM kits : OCZ 2GB and Corsair Dominator. But looking at reviews in the dominator series, I noticed someone saying in order to get the 1066 Mhz frequency, you have to set the EPP on.

Review: "The rated speed is lying to you: these are 800Mhz sticks that overclock to 1066 with the EPP; the description would lead you to believe they are natively 1066Mhz sticks that can FURTHER overclock using their EPPs. When you turn on the EPP feature in your BIOS, it forces you to use a 1066FSB. That's nice if you have an Extreme edition processor and can overclock via multiplier, but if you have a new Core 2 1333FSB or simply want to overclock using the FSB, you'll be out of luck if you want to use the EPP. You can manually set these modules to 1066, but if you're going for a higher FSB and still want synchronous RAM (which works best with Core 2s), you'll end up tweaking these into the 800-850Mhz range (ex: FSB 1640, RAM 810Mhz) and at that speed you might as well not pay for 1066Mhz memory"

So is this true? I would like 4GB of Dual- Channel PC8500 (running at 1066MHz) with a low latency and an OC'ed Q6600. Will I have any conflicts between the EPP and the FSB like he says ^?

Any help is appreciative... I hope you get this Der Meister. Cuz I know you know what you're talking about.. u have a lot of the same build I'm going to be buying lol. Oh and Der, Can you fit the chipset fan on the evga 680i mobo with a Zalman 9700? Cuz in your pictures you didn't have it on. Lol.

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

huh?i have my chipset fan on there... It says "nVIDIA" on it.

Chipset fan 

as for the ram not too sure. i'll do some reading on it tonight and see what i can come up with. To tell the truth i never understood the performance benefit of the "SLI" ready RAM over non-"SLI" ready ram. I always figured it was more of a marketing thing. Though i think it helps when you OC'ing but im not 100% sure on that.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 1,825

Ok. Thanks for looking this up for me. lol. You're awesome. So what is that blue fan exactly in the bottom of your case?  What is it technically called? Case fan? Expansion Slot Fan? lol. Jw..

Edit: Oh and i noticed u have two hdds on top of each other.  How cool are they running? lol 

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 48,660
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Jul 30 2007 11:08 PM

Whoever wrote that "review" doesn't quote understand how SLI-Memory / EPP works.  Corsair's (or anyone else's) PC2-8500 memory will always default to 800MHz because that's the fastest officially supported, JEDEC certified speed.  All EPP does is take a portion of the SPD to store information about the module's higher rated speeds.  What the person who wrote that fails to understand is that the motherboard / chipset is what determines the ultimate memory speed.

It looks like you've got an nForce 680i SLI motherboard, and that mobo supports asycronous memory speeds.  So, if you want to run your memory at 1066MHz and overclock your CPU, all you have to do is set the FSB:Memory ratio to unlinked and dial in the speeds you want.  You could use EPP / SLI-Memory settings if you wanted, but that will tie you down to whatever speeds are programmed.  You're better off setting things manually and tweaking for max performance.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

UnlikelyAura:

Ok. Thanks for looking this up for me. lol. You're awesome. So what is that blue fan exactly in the bottom of your case?  What is it technically called? Case fan? Expansion Slot Fan? lol. Jw..

Edit: Oh and i noticed u have two hdds on top of each other.  How cool are they running? lol 

Well the blue thing below the GTX is a slot cooler it just suck air out of the case. As for the HD temp i have no idea i don't really monitor them. but i don't think there too hot since a 120mm fan is blowing on them. Indeed what bigwop said you can just run unlinked, and tweak, thats what my PC is on at the moment.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS