How to get back the "Its safe to turn off your computer" display.

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
LouArnold Posted: Wed, Jul 25 2007 4:06 PM

I just got rid of an old 200MHz Intel system, and replaced it with an Athlon 2GHz system. Both systems run the same build of Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

When the old system was shut down, it stopped the hard drive, and displayed  the message "Its now safe to turn off your computer." The new one does not do so. I'd like to have that message displayed again with the new system. It was a good reminder to turn everything off.

The new system has APM enabled in the BIOS. I tried disabling that, but it went into repetitive boot until I re-enabled it.

How do I get that message displayed on the new system?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Jul 25 2007 10:54 PM

If I remember correctly, with Windows 2000, you had to re-isntall the OS if you made changes to the APM settings in the BIOS.

On a side note, lots of information referenced here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242414/EN-US/

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Sat, Jul 28 2007 5:59 PM

I think you just need to disable power management in your system's BIOS to get that message back.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
LouArnold replied on Sun, Jul 29 2007 11:51 AM

Thank you. That article (242414) was helpful. The Power Options do not show an APM tab, so the support for APM is not installed. ACPI certainly is installed. I have a no-name computer so the Biosinfo.inf likely doesn't list my computer.

I suspect that BigWop is correct - disabling the APM in the BIOS - probably requires the OS to be re-installed, and I have already invested several hours installing and configuring this computer for my daughter's use. I will simply plug a large light bulb into the power bar, so she knows to turn off the peripherals.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS