Dell XPS 710 H2C Performance Gaming System

This post has 47 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,620
Points 55,180
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH Posted: Mon, Feb 19 2007 1:47 PM
The XPS 710 H2C Edition is billed as a top-of-the-line ultra-performance machine built with the most hardcore of gamers in mind, a niche that Alienware is very familiar with. Not only does the XPS 710 H2C hold the distinction of being Dell's first non-limited edition factory overclocked computer, it also uses Dell's first in-house liquid cooling system to keep it's quad-core power plant cool. The XPS 710 H2C is the most heavily performance-specified XPS system yet, with an Intel Core 2 QX6700 processor, dual GeForce 8800 GTXs, 4 GB of RAM and two Western Digital Raptors in a RAID 0 array, as standard equipment. We recently got our hands on one and we've been putting it through its paces, as it ripped through the benchmarks in our labs.

Dell XPS 710 H2C Performance Gaming System
http://www.hothardware.com/vie...rticleid=928&cid=8

Enjoy and Thanks!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 245
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 387
Points 6,445
jerkwheat replied on Mon, Feb 19 2007 1:55 PM
Wow... that's a beautiful machine

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Mon, Feb 19 2007 10:53 PM
Very Cool Review!!!

Although I think they should have used the 680i.. and Faster Memory.. at least DDR 2 800

If I'm throwing away 5k on a PC I want the Latest Tech available...

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580
Yea, I think it is a stunning system too. Except for the fact that everything "Dell" claimed about the design and build of the cooling system they did is wrong.

Dell paid CoolIT to modify their MTEC cooler (Coolit has the tech patented) to fit in the Dell case and have Dell branding. The modified design is actually weaker in cooling power than CoolIT's Freezone cooler, about on par with the new Eliminator. If you want that tech in your home PC, head over to CoolIT's website and find out all you wanna know about it.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Tue, Feb 20 2007 5:19 PM
quote:

Originally posted by: InfinityzeN
Yea, I think it is a stunning system too. Except for the fact that everything "Dell" claimed about the design and build of the cooling system they did is wrong.

Dell paid CoolIT to modify their MTEC cooler (Coolit has the tech patented) to fit in the Dell case and have Dell branding. The modified design is actually weaker in cooling power than CoolIT's Freezone cooler, about on par with the new Eliminator. If you want that tech in your home PC, head over to CoolIT's website and find out all you wanna know about it.

Your correct, the H2C system is a collaboration between CoolIT and Dell. MTEC is a moniker for a technology that CoolIT has patented, its not the name of a cooler. The H2C system does use the MTEC tech but its not just a simple mod of an existing CoolIT design. Another point worth mentioning is that the Freezone uses 6 low-draw TECs (56W total), the Eliminator (40W) uses 3 and the H2C only uses 2. Another key difference is that the Freezone and the Eliminator are both one-stage processes while the H2C is a two-stage system. That is why the H2C gets away with less TECs, because they don't need to cool all the water in the radiator, just the water passing through the secondary heat exchanger, which has already been cooled by the radiator. Judging from just the specs, I would put the H2C somewhere between the Freezone and the Eliminator in most situations, but no one can be sure without a direct performance comparison. One advantage the H2C system has is that since its a two-stage process, it has a much higher tolerance before the TECs become saturated (significant amounts of heat leaks back to the cold side).

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Tue, Apr 3 2007 10:00 PM
How easy would it be to swap out the two graphics cards with different cards?

In a few of the pictures of the inside of the system there seems to be an odd 'cage' assembly around the graphics cards that would seem to prevent their easy removal for upgrading down the line.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
It actually a lot easier than it looks. The user's manual that comes with the system has instructions on how to remove the various components, such as the H2C system and the video cards. The system was designed to be upgradable (if you ignore the rather hopeless BTX form factor).

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
I just purchased this system from DELL and I love it.. However, I was hoping someone could tell me if the "buzzing" noise from the powersupply is normal. It's not the fan in the powersupply because you can actually hear where it's coming from (the very back of the PSU, nowhere near the fan). Also, when I scroll my mousewheel on a webpage, or the CPU is used at all, the buzzing noise seems to follow along with the movement in a rapid on-off fashion. By scrolling my mouse wheel I can actually create a little rhythm.

The Dell tech support was very nice. They sent out a technician (within two days) and he replaced the powersupply. When the tech first heard it he said, 'That certainly isn't right'. Unfortunately the sound is still here even after the replacement. It's the loudest sound coming from the box and I just can't believe that it is supposed to sound this way. It is truly unbareable.

Dell is coming out one more time to replace the PSU, If that fails I have a choice to recieve an entirely new identical system, get my money back, or pick another system.

I really want to keep this system, but if this sound is normal I will glady choose another. So please, if you have used this system let me know if this is normal.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
quote:

Originally posted by: Gel214th
How easy would it be to swap out the two graphics cards with different cards?

In a few of the pictures of the inside of the system there seems to be an odd 'cage' assembly around the graphics cards that would seem to prevent their easy removal for upgrading down the line.

I was easily able to remove both cards from the case while on the phone with DELL techsupport (they asked me to remove them for troubleshooting purposes, see above post). The only tricky part is to remember to remove the plastic guard covering the card's inputs (facing outside of the case) before you try to pull it out. Other than that, it was a breeze.
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
bastie replied on Wed, Jun 13 2007 11:13 AM
Hi, I have one of these and it is very noisy. there high piteched whine noise eminates from the coolant pump in my machine, and Dell have been out to replace it twice. I am now arguing with them about having the machine replaced and suspect they are avoiding me.
Have you opened the side and listed by the pump at all, I found if i applied presseure to the side of it, it moved on its rubber mounts and the pitch of the noise changed so narrowed it down.

anyway, let me know if you had any progress
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Wed, Jun 13 2007 12:06 PM
I purchased the 710 H2C.

I don't hear a high pitched whine from the pump, but I do hear something from the back of the machine. I don't know if its the PSU or the pump itself. At any rate it does not seem to affect system performance and when I'm gaming I don't notice it at all.

It's quieter than the watercooled Alienware ALX system as well which still needs its three fans turned on when gaming, negating the 'quiet' of a watercooled system in the first place.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Wed, Jun 13 2007 2:59 PM
quote:

Originally posted by: bastie
Hi, I have one of these and it is very noisy. there high piteched whine noise eminates from the coolant pump in my machine, and Dell have been out to replace it twice. I am now arguing with them about having the machine replaced and suspect they are avoiding me.
Have you opened the side and listed by the pump at all, I found if i applied presseure to the side of it, it moved on its rubber mounts and the pitch of the noise changed so narrowed it down.

I know what you're talking about when you say "high pitched whine". During my time reviewing the XPS710, I also noticed it, although I didn't find it particularly bothersome. Maybe it's because I listen to too much loud music, but I didn't find the whine too out of the ordinary, especially compared to other high-performance PCs I've owned and worked with in the past. If it is the coolant pump and they have replaced it twice without any change, then it's probably not a problem from a mechanical perspective.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Fuseit replied on Fri, Jul 13 2007 3:32 PM

Hi - I have exactly the same problem on my 720 H2C (arrived Wednesday).

What has happened to your problem, have Dell managed to resolve it? Please let me know how you have got on (I hope well for you and all XPS owners).

Awesome system but the buzzing really does drive me nuts!  I'm also concerned it may mean a more serious problem on it's way. I will be reporting it as soon as I can get hold of Dell. I will probably demand a pre-tested replacement as I don't care for an engineer ripping my very cool machine to bits.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
iamxtreme1 replied on Sun, Aug 19 2007 11:30 PM

710 H2C purchased 6 weeks ago everything was fine until about a week ago all of a sudden it became extremely loud when any kind of graphics load was put on it, EverQuest2 is a good example. So I download Ntune and check the settings, Ive never checked the temps and fan speeds before so I have nothing to compare it to other than the CPU fan noise increase.

At Idle im getting (with ntune):
CPU 44C - fan 939RPM
System 27C - fan 1300 RPM
GPU1 63C GPU2 76C

With a CPU load of 25 - 27% (EQ2 only uses one core of processor so one core at full load basically) im getting:
CPU 80-82C - fan 4054RPM!! (very loud)
System 27C - fan 1300RPM
GPU1 63C GPU2 80C

What should these temps be with the h2C cooler?

Tech support said i could run the CPU at 78C without hurting it I would just have to deal with the fan noise until I could get it fixed. This temp still seems very high to me anyone know if it's really safe?

Tech Support ordeal detailed below:
Used online chat first time was told to unplug and replug in CPU fan connector so I did it, but tech support didn't suspend my session so that was end of that chat - problem not fixed.

Used online chat again, this time the tech went through my specs took control of my PC changed out video drivers, ran tests for an hour and a half then said he was going to do some research and call me back the following day, um ya he never called - problem not fixed.

So now I call tech support and have to rerun through the bulk of the diagnostics over the phone (2 hour call) PC passes all diagnostic tests, so we conclude (What i had been saying since I contacted them initially) it must be the H2C unit, tech support guy sets up a work order 2 days later I get a call from a local repair guy and setup an appointment for a repair the following day (I was annoyed with my initial contact with customer service, but now I'm impressed its going to be fixed within 4 days of reporting it!). Repair tech shows up takes my pc apart and opens the box with the replacement part and ya you guessed it they shipped some part thats not even in my system!!! Tech called them up and told them they sent wrong item and said they were shipping a new one and he would call in 2 days to set up another appointment. That was 4 days ago haven't heard anything from anyone since??? Ya Good Times!

So 2 questions really:

1. is 78C to hot to run this cpu without risking any damage to it?

2 When the unit gets replaced what should the temps be at idle, partial load and max load? 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Mon, Aug 20 2007 3:45 AM

Here's a link to some temperature tips : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide

78C is pushing things with the processor, and apparently taking it close to shutdown temperature which I believe could result in a fried processor.

I've actually never had the big fan kick in on my 710H2C except at initial power-on. You should be careful, and step the CPU back to normal speeds, 2.66Ghz immediately.You're not going to experience unplayable framerates at that level with even the basic 710H2C config, and I'm assuming you have at least one 8800GTX or even a GTS.

Err on the side of caution :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Mon, Aug 20 2007 8:38 AM

Very nice, however seems to run hot, and as noted, some faster memory could have been used.

Overall, nice to see Dell being very competitive in the high-end PC market.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Mon, Aug 20 2007 8:58 AM

Just a note to purchases of the 710H2C. until October you have the oppurtunity to UPGRADE to a brand new 720H2C motherboard system which provides capability for adding faster memory, processors and some other new options onthe i680 motherboard.

Check the Dell site for more information on the 700 series Upgrade! http://www.xpsupgradeprogramdell.com/

No, this is not free. You have to pay I think about 500US maximum for the upgrade components and in-house installation if you want it. The components alone are about half that.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

OK, got the replacement H2C Unit installed system is now running as follows max load (all 4 cores):

NTUNE

CPU 39C Fan RPM 1200

System 28C Fan RPM  1402

GPU1 60C

GPU2  76C

I see momentary spikes on CPU temp up to 46C with negligible fan rpm increases, not sure what causes them, I'm guessing me switching in and out of programs to keep CPU maxed out (also SLI is turned off)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Did you have to replace the entire H2C system, or the cooling unit?  Did the repair guy indicate if they are having problems with the cooling units?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

Dell sent a new H2C Cooling Unit, a new front fan and a new HDD fan all of which were replaced. Both the Customer Service Troubleshooter's and the On-site Repair Technician said it was the first time they had ever been called about one of these units (Judging by the way the on-site guy removed it I believe him - CST I never believe regardless of what they say...). Also, dell ships the units with some GIMP!!! thermal paste already on them with a plastic cover to protect it and tells the techs its not necessary to add to it. After the unit was replaced everything seemed OK; Then a day later my temps began to climb up to around 50C fan stayed at 1100-1200 rpm no big deal (no noise!)... However, I removed the unit cleaned off the dell crap reinstalled with Arctic Silver (Use your own preference here A S was my personal choice) and guess what I don't go over 31C  ever fan rarely breaks 1000 rpm. IMHO the problem was with the liquid cooling unit and Dell's GIMP heat transfer medium; The CPU fan (Part of liquid cooling unit) spun up and down as required by temp which tells me mobo sensors were reading accurately, I can verify exhaust temp through sweat I swear my CPU heated my comp room 10 degrees fahrenheit. Things i will remember - if the h2c is metal on metal with no heat transfer medium 80C is still to hot for a liquid cooler. AS helped me, however to date there is no diagnostic to troubleshoot the H2C Unit... when in doubt make dell replace everything... YES IM STILL BITTER

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100

Dell XPS 720 H2C, 4 GB RAM, dual Nvidia Ultra Cards, Blu-ray player.

I just got this system after having to send back three other lesser models for various reasons.  When I overclock the machine at 3.33 or 3.66 the fan noise fluxuates for no reason.  I asked Dell about this and they said that it is normal.  I am barely pushing the comp when the fans go nuts, and I can't imagine that a machine that is factory overclocked is supposed to behave like this.  Should I go through the various temp and fan speed tests like above.  I am just curious if others have noticed fluxuations in fan noise/speed as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 450
2point replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 8:32 PM

A huge waste of money! 

For $3,300 in your own components you can have a better system no doubt about it.   2qty 10K Raptors, sli or xfire, better memory, better mother board, better water cooling

$300 mobo, $300 Q6600 Overclock to 3.6 easy on water, $115 for 1000mhz Gskill 2x2gb to clock to 1100Mhz if needed, $550 2qty ATI 3870s, 2x$170 raptors, $110 500GB WD HDD, $450 extreme water cooling setup for 1cpu & 2GPUs, $150 case, $300 dell 22" monitor, $175 850 watt PSU, $300 Vista 64bit + 32bit DVDs retail, $100 TV card. 2x dvd burners $70, $20 media reader

all for $3,240

maybe I missed something but not $2500 worth LMAO.  Read it and weep suckers.. . Way to PAY ""THE MAN""

For about $2300 you can have a sensible computer setup like the one I'm going to build.  Yes it only has a E6750 but why spend Over 180bucks for a 2 more processors that aren't going to do anything to get you better gaming???  3.6ghz can be hit on the E6750 without a whole lot of knowledge in Overclocking.. . With the X38 chipset you can upgrade to a quad or a 45nano processor when they are available.  People on OCforums are taking the Gigabyte mobo to 550FSB with ease and can reach 3.6-4.0GHZ on E6750, E6850 and Q6600 with water cooling. 

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5439674&ItemList

^^ above link will probably change in days to come.. .

need help picking Hardware!
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 4:36 AM

chesbrougha:

Dell XPS 720 H2C, 4 GB RAM, dual Nvidia Ultra Cards, Blu-ray player.

I just got this system after having to send back three other lesser models for various reasons.  When I overclock the machine at 3.33 or 3.66 the fan noise fluxuates for no reason.  I asked Dell about this and they said that it is normal.  I am barely pushing the comp when the fans go nuts, and I can't imagine that a machine that is factory overclocked is supposed to behave like this.  Should I go through the various temp and fan speed tests like above.  I am just curious if others have noticed fluxuations in fan noise/speed as well.

The fans are supposed to switch on, and you are not at the factory overclock. You are overclocking it further to 3.33 and 3.66. There's nothing wrong with your system, and actually some people manually set the fan speeds to higher when playing games.

A huge waste of money! 

For $3,300 in your own components you can have a better system no doubt about it.   2qty 10K Raptors, sli or xfire, better memory, better mother board, better water cooling

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5439674&ItemList 

You can say the same about any Alienware, Any voodoo PC, or any HP Blackbird. The fact is that not many people have the technical knowhow to put together a rig like that.

And even those that do can run into problems with mismatched memory, making mistakes with cards, some people have fried their equipment while putting it together.
There are a lot of things that can go wrong. Many people just prefer to buy something configured to their specifications and let someone else worry about putting it together.They also consider the warranties, service and support.
Kudos for you on putting together your machine, and on having the knowledge and the time to sit and build it, especially using watercooling. Here's hoping that nothing goes wrong while building it.

This is form someone who's done it both ways, building my own monster rig and purchasing one off the shelf.

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 450
2point replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 9:55 AM

Gel214th:

You can say the same about any Alienware, Any voodoo PC, or any HP Blackbird. The fact is that not many people have the technical knowhow to put together a rig like that.

This is form someone who's done it both ways, building my own monster rig and purchasing one off the shelf.

The big rigs are for people with certain lifestyle that allow them to overpay for such things.  Maybe when my wife starts making 130Gs added onto my 65Gs, the $5,500 price tag wont scare me away as much.  But still.. . I'd rather save the 2-3Gs and spend that on performance parts for my car that I take to the race track or a nice long vacation. 

This will actually be my first computer build.  Got to start somewhere.. . I have plenty of people that can help me out as well though.  I'm not watercooling my rig unless I get into to overclocking everything to the extreme which I don't think I'll do.  A good fan on the processor for a mild overclock is all I need. 

need help picking Hardware!
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100

Thanks to the one person that replied with an answer.  FYI I spent 3K on this system, and I don't game I do graphics (return after return, talking to manager after manager).  They are sending a tech out with all the fan parts and a new HD just in case that is the problem.  Hopefully that does the trick.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 10:29 AM

I personally don't think that there's any problem with the fans, or your system.

AFAIK The system is factory overclocked at 3.2Ghz.

Systems need to be kept cool, and the fan sounds like an airplane taking off when it is engaged. If you go beyond that 3.2Ghz to 3.3 or 3.6 then I think it only normal for the fans to engage.The only reason you notice them, is because the system was so quiet to begin with, but I have an Alienware ALX, the original, and it is LOUD with those three fans running.

Like I said, i'm no tech, but your description of what's happening doesn't seem to represent an issue with the system, but more with your own expectations.
I have personally used nTune to turn my system fans UP manually, and my graphics card fans as well. (so I know the rrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE sound of the fan in the H2C ^_^ When it engages it is Loud!).
You're saying that you think they shouldn't even be kicking in :-)

Clearly there's a difference there, I want my processor running as cool as possible, and my graphics card cores  as well. I'm willing to go through some noise for that, especially when I know I am overclocking a chip (Factory overclock is an Overclock) and I have two MASSIVE 8800GTX cards in the case.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
deanouk replied on Sun, Feb 3 2008 9:51 AM

Hi i have the xps 710 h2c myself. you said you can run ntune to adjust the fans manually? Do you know any other programs i can use to do the same thing. my temps at 2.66Ghz are a little high i must say @ idel i range from 40-50 degress and thats at idle.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
Gel214th replied on Sun, Feb 3 2008 10:09 AM

I've heard there's something called Speedfan , but that crashed my machine when I tried to run it. The other thing is RivaTuner, but I believe that just adjusts the fans for the graphics cards. You should know, though, that the Quad core processors run hot, hotter than you might expect. They're perfectly happy at that temperature, and I don't think you need ot be overly concerned unless you are doing some custom overclocking.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 1:58 PM

Dell sure is making some money on these computers.  I bet they don't sell a ton of them though.  They also aren't using the best hardware for the system either for more profit in their own pockets.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 8:23 PM

vicaphit:

Dell sure is making some money on these computers.  I bet they don't sell a ton of them though.  They also aren't using the best hardware for the system either for more profit in their own pockets.

well nice guess that dell is making money that is what a buisness is supposed to do.

they sell alot of xps models. and dell overall is one of the top brands (if not the top one).

dell xps/alienware/voodoo etc... usually get the uber new tech ahead of schedule. like 8800gtx etc... etc... so thats one bonus on behalf of these companies.

also, some people do not want the hassle of optimizing their computer and having to fiddle with the bios and overclock this overclock that, run benchmarks for 4 hours etc..

while i do not like any name brand computer (except voodoo, and that is just because of looks). you have to realize that people have many many reasons for buying a brand name computer and flaming them for having a computer that is made by otherpeople is not a wise choice since it only shows your ignorance.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100

I am moving and am looking to sell a fully loaded, four month old Dell XPS 720 H2C with the following specs and buy something for portable:

• Intel Core2 Duo QX6850 (3.00 GHZ overclocked to 3.67 GHZ) with quad core tech----
    4GB RAM----
    2x BLU-RAY, DVD+R/RW----
    Dual: 768 NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra----
    Dual: 1 TB harddrives----
    Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)----
    Windows Side Cover, Black (see picture)----
    Aegia Physx Processor----
    1 killowatt power supply----
    Dual: 1 TB harddrives----
    19-:1 Media Card reader----
  • 3 year in home dell premium support----
    Lycosa Gaming Keyboard----
    Razer death addler gaming mouse----
    Microsoft office standard 2007 suite----
    Logitech Quickcam Fusion----
    Samsung 2232BW monitor (22 inch)----
    "World in Conflict"----

Total Package Price: $5,800 (buying everything new costs around $8K)

See the craigslist posting: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/651633448.html

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, Apr 22 2008 7:27 AM

holly mother of god that is a sweet system, you should post this however in the for sale section of the forums.  

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100

Thanks, didn't know there was a sales section.  Thanks

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, Apr 22 2008 7:37 AM

np, im sure you'll get a buyer either here or from craigslist. i would def be intrested if i had that type of money.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Thu, Apr 24 2008 5:08 PM

ice_73:
you have to realize that people have many many reasons for buying a brand name computer and flaming them for having a computer that is made by otherpeople is not a wise choice since it only shows your ignorance.

Calling me ignorant for making an observation about the price of a computer is flaming.  In no way was I attacking anyone in this thread, I was merely stating that Dell is making heaps of money on these computers.  I don't see how you can construe this as a personal attack.

I fully understand that people don't want to build their own computers.  Hell, I have a dell computer that I have loaded with hardware after I figured out how to upgrade myself.  If someone wants to spend money on something, that is fine with me, but I usually speak up when I think they could probably save money somewhere.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Thu, Apr 24 2008 9:36 PM

well the thing i had against your post was that it was so... well pointless. you said basically said dell wants to make money,  and arent using the best hardware possible. which any one could see, and thats the whole point of any company is to make money....  you also seemed to imply that no one should buy dell.

either way. i think for both of us its best to let this one die down.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 330
barone replied on Sat, Apr 26 2008 9:22 PM

yeah just always remember to include a picture of the item on craigslist and write "if you have any questions, ask"

laptop - dell latitude d630
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Sat, Apr 26 2008 11:43 PM

nice would totally look in to if had money =( 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 4,205

I really like the system,but if I were to make the system by myself,the system would get a little cheaper! 

Photobucket
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Bloort replied on Tue, Mar 17 2009 1:00 AM

I just clicked reply.  hope i'm doing this right.  So just a word of caution, i downloaded Gforce drivers for twin 8800s the other day, control panel reports the version as 182.08.  I've had problems with nTune, and System monitor, and control panel freezing with the inability to end task surrounding nTune service.  The previous version didn't give any problems at all, except that the cpu fan slider underperformance would only increase the fan speed in increments, and never decrease it.

I run BOINK and seti, overnight and have had this system set to 2.66 (Factory OCd 3.2) until i get to know it's personality.  It's about a year old now i guess.  With my video editing finished, now it's time to play and see what it can do.  the 2.9? setting seemed to run ok, and while maxing out the cpu with BOINK and seti processing, the heat climbed to about 60C or so while the cpu fan idled.  Not bad i guess.  But on 3.2 and the fan idling, BOINK processing 100% cpu load takes the cpu temps to 70C in no time.  I read a thread on cpu paste, and i think i just might try that.  Putting some qulity paste on older hot machines made quite the difference, maybe that's the answer here.  To be running this chip with the fan nice and quiet at 1000 rpm or so would be a dream.  Speedfan 4.37 did load ok, and it did wind up the cpu fan and kept the temps under 65...but WOW...thought a jet was flying in the room..quite entertaining.  Thermal paste...

I read a thread, where soem overclockers cranked the fans to 100% and overclocked the Core 2 extreme (can't remember my cpu number) to 3.6 and it was completely stable the the H2C cooling system.  I'm not going to try that stunt as that probably voids warranty.  But nice to hear they liked the H2C cooling system. 

I wasn't very impressed with the "XPS tech support".  I mean, they are freindly patient people if they can remain calm with the likes of me...but i would rather hear an "I don't know", than be fed a line of crap like they have done several times in the past just to get rid of me. (on valid issues i might add).  Without a doubt, i don't think many of the front line support personell have even laid hands on one of these things.  ( i would expect an XPS support technician to know the thermal limit of the CPU for example without having to wait on hold).    Anyhow, they try and they're wiilling and patient, i'll give them that. 

So no real horror stories about this machine, it does heat up the room nicely too, just i figure that bucks were paid for a factory 3.2 overclock, so i don't feel like i should be forced to back off to 2.9 to keep withing CPU thermal limits no matter what the cpu load.  Hopfully 20 bux on some paste, and some time invested in applying it will have me running fansilent and 3.2 fast.  Any thoughts??? Tips??? anyone?  Great thread so far.

Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS