Shortcuts

This is a Theoretical question for ya'll....

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 2,265
raze304 Posted: Mon, Aug 1 2005 6:24 PM
Ok. I made a thread about what difference would running winXP Pro vs. WinXP home make on a rig. BUT, after doin some digging and some thinking, I was wondering. Hyperthreading is supposed to EMULATE a 2nd physical processor on your system. Well, Winxp HOME does NOT support dual proc setups. BUT, PRO DOES. So, would that warrant any performance gain for a hyperthreaded p4 to run on win pro instead of home since pro has native dual proc support anyway??
Asus p4p800 mobo
Intel 2.8E Prescott Processor (oc'd to 3.4ghz)
1024mb of Giel pc3200 RAM (4x256) running in Dual Channel
Apollo GeForce FX5200SE 128mb Vid Card
M Audio AudioPhile 2496 soundcard
1 - Western Digital 200gb SATA HD
1 - Western Digital 120gb HD
Sony DVDRW drive
2 - 17inch monitors
450 watt power supply
WinXPHome(sp2)
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Points 2,270
where did you read that HOME does not support dual processors?
AMD 64 3800+ (with a XP-120 heatsink)
Asus A8N-E
4 sticks of 512 pc3200
LeadTek GeForce 6800GT
Sound Blaster Aud. 2 (gamer edition)
Logitech 5.1 z-5300
Antec TruePower 550
Wife and 2 kids (I think their names begin with "m" or something)
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205
avakin replied on Sun, Apr 2 2006 9:49 PM
I didn't know that... but it would make sense since pro is twice the price of home, or it used to be. I never understood the benefits of pro, but i have it.
I really need a new computer, but is it worth it?\r\n\r\nP4 HT 3.0ghz Northwood\r\n1280mb pc2700 DDR-SDRAM (not dual channel)\r\nATI Radeon 9200 SE \r\n\r\n
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 1,745
charIie replied on Thu, Jun 15 2006 9:07 AM
I have pro and a p4 3.0 which shows up as two processors in task mgr. In general pro will be more benificial. Probably run smoother and little things that were missed on home.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Fri, Jun 16 2006 3:40 PM
well i sure can tell who has done their homework on this. XP Pro is xp home with better networking support and tools. Other than that they are the same. The only reason to get pro would be if you are on a corperate network where the networking features would be benificial. For the average joe, xp home is just fine.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 1,105
Lou784 replied on Sat, Jun 17 2006 2:41 PM
Actually it is correct that XP Home only supports a single processor and XP PRO can support dual core processors. I've seen this topic come up several times on forums and I've seen people say both are exactly the same OS, only one has more networking features and remote desktop ability. If you disagree with me then you can go visit Microsoft's website and look at the difference your self or visit this link to the website that shows the difference between XP Home and PRO:

XP Home & XP PRO

So the 2 main benefits in XP PRO are the multi-processor support. Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one. And the various networking and remote desktop abilties that XP home does not have.

And as for HTT, I am pretty sure XP Home works just fine with it since it really is not considered 2 actual micro processor's, but 1 real one and 1 "virutal one".
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 169
Points 2,555
dorogar replied on Sat, Jun 17 2006 5:49 PM
You want to say that AMD X2 wont work normally with XP home (if I am geting you right).
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,063
Points 46,755
Elsparrow replied on Sat, Jun 17 2006 6:27 PM
Surely you are confusing dual core with dual CPU?

An X2 is a dual core single CPU system.

An Opteron server is an example of a dual CPU system, with 2 individual chips in their own socket.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Jun 17 2006 7:25 PM
Lou that link is from before xp was released so the info on that page is partially specualtion at best

If you want info about xp go to the people that made it, not a third party.

The only mention of processor support is that of like elsp is saying, dual cpu boards that are really only found in very high end workstations and servers. It mentions nothing of not supporting dual cores, and i know that xp home works and recognizes dual cores and the virtual core on the P4 with HT enabled in the bios.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 759
Points 9,725
Pro has a bunch of extra networking features and some tigher security features on the higher levels...and of course support for more CPUs, these are physical CPUs, not including dual core & hyper-threading...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,386
Points 22,475
Freeman replied on Mon, Jun 19 2006 6:22 PM
quote:

Originally posted by: SilverVenom57
Pro has a bunch of extra networking features and some tigher security features on the higher levels...and of course support for more CPUs, these are physical CPUs, not including dual core & hyper-threading...

exactly, pro supports two physical cpus, dual core and hyper threading are different. my p4 with hyperthreading shows as two procs in task manager in xp home, so i know this to be the case.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Sun, May 18 2008 12:13 PM

The actual difference in XP pro and HOME is actually the backbone of the operating system. XP home is based loosely on WIN98 SE as the backbone, whereas XP pro is based on and almost is WIN2000 with multimedia and other added benefits pertaining mainly to multimedia and networking. SO as far as performance goes XP pro would be my choice however I am running VISTA 64 Ultimate now I was actually part of XP beta (and VISTA Beta). XP PRO and HOME have different memory paths and recognition as well as Virtual capabilities which in a home PC environment would probably effect you only if you had 4 gigs of ram and in page file performance capability. Most of this would however be kind of inconsequential in many scenarios but the ones it does influence are at least beneficial in PRO.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

wow this was a really old thread!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Thu, May 22 2008 9:21 PM

nelsoncp21:

wow this was a really old thread!

werd, rapid1, please do not bring up old threads unless there is a need a too do so.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS