Installing my ATI Radeon 9200 SE BIOS PROBLEMS!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
a02227 Posted: Fri, Jul 1 2005 9:28 PM
system spec

PC Chips K7 M863G M/B
AMD 3100+
128MB DDR RAM
60 GB Maxtor HDD
CD-RW Memorex
Terminator TV card
onboard sound / graphics / ethernet / USB
American Trends BIOS

I bought a new graphics card becasue i am sick of the on board one and purchased an ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR(AGP) but when i put it into the AGP slot and turn on my computer the screen remains black and the BIOS doesn't beep at all and nothing appears. I've tried disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS reducing its shared memory size to 0 and various other settings as well as install the need card and resetting the BIOS from the jumper but still same result. I have tested it in another computer and it works fine!!

Any ideas on a solution? Its driving me nuts!
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 11,701
Points 74,165
Jordan replied on Fri, Jul 1 2005 9:44 PM
When you say you put ddown the shared memory down to 0 do you mean just the memory stored for the on-board or the actual apperture size?

128MB of RAM is far too limited for a system like that esp if you use XP. I hate to think how it managed haveing to share some system RAM with the graphics card. How much RAM did this other system you tried the card in have? Does it use DDR?
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
a02227 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2005 12:54 AM
Well there is a setting to change the shared memory size and the options are disable 32MB or 64MB and then there is an option for the apature size of the graphics which is 32 / 64 / 128MB i have tried various different combinations of theose and all have produced the same result.

Yeah i know that 128MB DDR RAM is very little for this system and i will be adding anohter 512MB witihin the next week or so but i don't think that it would affect the grapics card problem would it? But your right it is far too limited and i am running XP its driving me insane when you switch between programs, the time it take to appear is stupidly slow!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 11,701
Points 74,165
Jordan replied on Sat, Jul 2 2005 8:16 AM
It could affect the graphics. It's possible that after some RAM is reseved for the apperture there isn't enough RAM to start the system. I can't be sure as I've honestly never put XP on a system with anything less than 512MB RAM. Well whether or not the problem lies with the graphics card 512MB will help you any way and is a crucial upgrade so it's not like it would be wasted. Also, the on-board graphics with 512MB RAM would probabaly run better than the 128MB RAM and the 9200. The 9200 isn't a great card btw, it's the bootom of the pile and not a huge improvement over the on-board.
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 185
I have had a similar problem posted at

http://www.hothardware.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=16&threadid=29649&enterthread=y

The upgrade i was performing had 512MB RAM
Look After Our Earth, its the only one we have.........
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
j-pr replied on Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:13 PM

Check the AGP mode in the BIOS(4x, 8x, auto) in my AsRock Mobo. I solved many problems by setting the mode to 4x for my 9200, Oh, and for gaming it's probably too obsolete. And while running vista my Exp. Index came down to 1.0 with this card

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Holy ancient post revival!!! Your reply may be a little late... just a hunch, but welcome to HH anyway!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS