Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.

Max Payne Movie PosterAs I'm sure you're all well aware, Hollywood has a long history of producing sub-par (way sub-par) movies based on popular video game franchises.  With a few rare exceptions, just about every movie based on a video game, from Super Mario Brothers to Doom, has stunk on multiple different levels.  We'll give Mortal Kombat a pass because Bridget Wilson was in tights practically the whole movie, and a Resident Evil sort of worked, but you get the point.

From the looks of the Max Payne trailer that was just posted today, however, it appears Hollywood may actually get this one right.  And I really hope they do because, well, Max Payne rules.  From the first moment I used bullet time to wax a couple of bad guys, to the random wierdness of the dream sequences, I knew Max Payne was my type of game.

May Payne Trailer
Max Payne Movie Trailer, Courtesy of ShackNews

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but the trailer actually looks pretty cool.  Mark Walberg (who I tried to beat up, along with the rest of the funky bunch, when I was a teenager) is totally believable as Max Payne.  And although you only get a glimpse of her, Mila Kunis can't help but be hot throughout.  Seeing Ludacris in there though.  Hmmm.  Not sure about that one, but then again he was kinda cool in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

I guess other than Nehalem, it looks like us geeks have something else to look forward to in Q4 '08. The move is due to hit on October 18.  I'll be there.  Hopefully, I won't leave making that "do you smell something funny" face that the digital Max was known for...

Posted Thu, Jul 10 2008 2:04 PM by Marco C
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Dave_HH wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:21 AM

Hey, it's quiet in here!  What's up.. no regulars reading our new section?  Maybe we need to bring down the hammer! :-P

Dev wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Tue, Jul 15 2008 8:58 PM

I really hope they don't do a botch job on it. I love that series. The movie does look good. True New York grundge.

ice_73 wrote
on Wed, Jul 16 2008 1:20 AM

fox got payne and redemption, a independent EXCELLENT quality fan movie to be canned, tens of thousands of dollars were poured in to a movie that will make no money and fox got their legal team to go and get the movie canned. for that reason, im thinking i might boycott this movie, plus i dont remember demons and angels in the game?

Dave_HH wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Wed, Jul 16 2008 1:26 PM

Didn't know you were a movie buff, Ice!  Interesting commentary... I'm sure I won't have time to go see this one unfortunately, since all my avaialble movie-going time is probably limited to PG-13 level or lower, max! :)

ice_73 wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Wed, Jul 16 2008 8:42 PM

well at least kung-fu panda was good :-) as was wall-e. a trend is beginning, that all these "kids" movies are starting to... well cater a bit more to adults too.

Savage Animal wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Sun, Jul 20 2008 11:32 AM

That's a trend that started a while ago Ice. Shrek definitely catered to adults, as did Ants and A Bugs Life before that.  This movies saving grace is that it's not  Uwe Boll at the helm. I may check it out.

warlord wrote re: Max Payne, The Movie. My Fingers are Crossed.
on Wed, Aug 20 2008 9:05 AM

At first i figured it would suck but the trailer is conviencing