Ultra X3 1000-Watt Energy Efficient Modular PSU
- AMD Athlon X2 5200+ (2.6 GHz / 1 MB L2)
- ASUS M2N32-WS Professional / Nvidia nForce 590 Motherboard
- OCZ 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Memory (2 x 1 GB, CAS 5-4-4-15)
- Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 512MB
- Nvidia Geforce 8600GS 256MB
- Western Digital "Raptor" 150GB
- Seagate ST340062 400GB
- ASUS 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
With our first test, we focused on total system wattage draw at the outlet while the testbed was powered off.
Both the Ultra X3 1000w and ThermalTake ToughPower 750w had a 5 watt draw with the system was completely powered down, while the Tagan weighed in at 6 watts.
Next, we powered up the system and record wattage while the system was idle. Each configuration was allowed to sit idle for thirty minutes before recording the wattage.
The 750w ThermalTake ToughPower PSU provided the lowest draw at 243w while the 1100w Tagan TG1100 was highest at 268w. The Ultra X3 1000w was within 10w of the ToughPower 750w while separating itself from the Tagan TG1100 by 15w, idling at 253w.