No question about it, Flash Memory devices have taken on the Consumer Tech industry by storm. Flash memory is utilized in so many different applications these days, from Cell Phones and PDAs, to MP3 players and Digital Cameras, that it's hard to imagine a world before the Flash memory was invented. However, thanks to some very smart minds at Toshiba all the way back in 1984 and then Intel in 1988, we all have the ability to store information on the fly in a number of hand-held applications and more.
Like any other technology, Flash Memory, specifically NAND Flash which is the type used predominantly in consumer electronics, has been improving exponentially in terms of density and speed increases. Today we have two products from Kingston to show you that typify the state of Flash technology. Kingston's 100X CF Ultimate 2GB Compact Flash card and their 15-in-1 card reader, are targeted at offering maximum performance and high speed access to your images, data and other files. Here's a quick-take on the product and then we'll look at how it performs.
Kingston CompactFlash Ultimate specifications
- Capacities: 1 GB, 2GB, 4GB
- Dimensions: 1.43" x 1.68" x .13" (36.4mm x 42.8mm x 3.3mm) - CF Type 1
- Speed Rating: up to 18 MB/sec. read rate and up to 15 MB/sec. write rate; 100d
- Operating temperature: 32o F to 140 o F (0 o C to 60 o C)
- Storage temperature: -4 o F to 185 o F (-20 o C to 85 o C)
- Standardized: complies with CompactFlash Association specification standards
- Small: one-third the size of full-size PC card
- Easy: plug and play
- Guaranteed: lifetime warranty
- Versatile: compatible with PC Card Type II adapters
- Economical: auto sleep mode preserves system/camera battery life
Kingston 15-in1 Reader Features and Benefits:
Dimensions –3.46" x 2.19" x .63" (8.78 cm x 5.56 cm x 1.6 cm)
Operating Temperature – 0 degrees to 60 degrees C (32 degrees to 158 degrees F)
Storage Temperature – 20 degrees to 85 degrees C (-4 degrees to 185 degrees F)
Standardized – complies with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed specification standards for up to 480 Mbps data transfer and backwards compatible with USB 1.1 specification standards for up 12 Mbps data transfer.
Portable – convenient small size; no power cable required
Easy – plug and play into any USB 2.0 or 1.1 port
Guaranteed – five-year warranty
Versatile – works with 15 different Flash card formats:
MSRP $19.00 USD