Verizon Rolls Out Android 2.1 Update For Motorola Droid

Attention all Verizon Droid owners: The long-awaited Android 2.1 update is finally coming your way. An internal company email obtained by Engadget shows that the Android 2.1 operating system update will begin a slow rollout process starting today.

According to the note, 1,000 users should have received the update by noon today. Another 9,000 users were scheduled to get the update at 11:59 ET. As for the rest of you? Well, you'll have to wait a full 24 hours before Verizon releases the software to 200,000 users. The updates will then continue to roll out once every 24 hours (at Midnight) to 200,000 users until all users have received the update.

Verizon was initially suppose to upgrade the Droid to Android 2.1 on March 18. On March 25, Motorola apologized to users via its Facebook page:

We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updated information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it!

Key Advantages:
  • Email - Yahoo Mail is now supported - customers can simply sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note: Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi.
  • Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery.
  • Speech-to-Text - Customers can now use their voice instead of typing whenever a text-entry box appears.
  • Google Goggles is now preloaded.
  • The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both pictures taken with the customer's Android device and images from Picasa Web Albums account online.
The update will bring the Droid to the same version of software as the Nexus One. The newer OS includes pinch-to-zoom controls and voice-to-text input capabilities. Other new features include support for Yahoo Mail, preloaded Google Goggles, and a new Gallery application that uses a 3D layout.

Via:  Engadget
Comments
3vi1 4 years ago

Heh... could that phone look any *more* like HAL 9000?

InfinityzeN 4 years ago

I think that is the whole point bro.

Kyouya 4 years ago

I am still waiting for the Droid to come to Canada. It has yet to come...sigh...and I definitely need to replace my phone soon. :(

RyuGTX 4 years ago

[quote user="Kyouya"]

What about the Nexus One? Is that in Canada?

All I know is that my friend went to GDC and they gave away the Droid (to US residents) and the Nexus One (to non-US residents). He and everyone else wanted the Nexus One instead of the Droid. So I'm assuming the Nexus One is better. I don't keep up with phone tech. Still rocking a simple LG Chocolate 3 that I just recently got texting on. lol

animatortom 4 years ago

HAL 9000? Whats that? One of those supercomputers from way back in the Nineties! :P

Did you know the "Droid" this is actually a registered trademark of Lucasfilm! I guess he doesn't have enough monies to pay for those offices in Singapore. I heard that Lucas has actually made a couple movies before "The Phantom Menace"? I still don't believe it!

Its good to see Verizon taking care of their customers. At least they aren't charging for this like Apple would :)

infinityzen 4 years ago

animatortom 4 years ago

"Kinda hard to charge for something you don't own animatortom. Android might be open source, but Google still owns it."

Yeah that was the whole sarcasm point. That they are actually paying Lucas for the Droid name :)