TRENDnet has an insatiable need for wireless speed and so has brought forth the first 450Mbps wireless access point. Earlier this year, it released a 450Mbps wireless router. The new, super-fast WAP, dubbed the 690AP, can work as a repeater for the 450Mbps router, extending its range to 100 meters indoors (328ft.) and 300 meters outdoors (948ft.).The 690AP has a single Gigabit Ethernet port so it can also serve as the link between the wireless network and a wired one and it supports 4 SSIDs per wireless band, with encryption for each SSID, for linking multiple wireless LANs together.
TRENDnet achieves the speed with 3x3 MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) antenna setup (three spatial streams per antenna). Like the company's other devices, it includes the fancy Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) feature, which lets users more easily integrate other WPS supported wireless adapters with the touch of a button.
The device is clearly intended for business use, but priced at $199 (the same at the router), it is affordable enough for home use should you live in such a large home that you need multiple wireless LANs and/or a repeater to extend the LAN's reach.
Earlier this month, TRENDnet released a 300Mbps bridge for a far more affordable $70. It connects up to four devices to your wireless router. The faster router and, if you so wish, the faster AP should (at least in theory) mean access to a whole lot of wireless bandwidth, with little-to-no speed degradation as more users pile on. On the other hand, this speed is not all that useful without devices that can connect to the wireless LAN at 300Mpbs or faster.
Here are the specs on the super-fast WAP.
TRENDnet® Launches First to Market 450Mbps Wireless Access Point
TORRANCE, Calif. –December 20, 2011–TRENDnet, a best-in-class wired and wireless networking hardware brand today announces the launch of the first to market 450Mbps Wireless N Access Point, model TEW-690AP, which supports Access Point, Wireless Distribution System (WDS), and Repeater mode functionality.
Advanced Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna technology with three spatial streams per antenna, generates a maximum theoretical wireless throughput of 450Mbps and exceptional wireless coverage.
A Gigabit Ethernet port maintains high performance wired connections. Advanced features include 4 SSIDs per wireless band, unique encryption for each SSID, WMM Quality of Service (QoS) data prioritization, WPA2-RADIUS encryption, and a convenient on/off power switch.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) integrates other WPS supported wireless adapters at the touch of a button. Gone are the days of entering complicated encryption codes; simply press the WPS button on the TEW-690AP, and then press the WPS button on a compatible wireless adapter—the devices automatically exchange information and connect.
“TRENDnet will be the first brand to bring a full portfolio of 450Mbps solutions to market,” stated Zak Wood, Director of Global Marketing for TRENDnet. “Expect more first to market announcements in the coming New Year at CES.”
The 450Mbps Wireless N Access Point, model TEW-690AP, comes with a three year limited warranty and is currently shipping to TRENDnet’s online and retail partners.
The MSRP for the TEW-690AP is U.S. $ 199.99.
- High performance 450Mbps wireless n access point
- 1 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-MDIX Gigabit LAN port
- 1 x WPS button
- 1 x Reset button
- On/off power switch (EU Version)
- Diagnostic LEDs
- Wi-Fi compliant with IEEE 802.11n standard
- Backwards compatible with IEEE 802.11g/b devices
- Features Wireless Distribution System (WDS) and Repeater modes for wireless network expansion
- Supports 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2-PSK, and WPA/WPA2-RADIUS wireless security
- Mac filter feature for added security
- Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) Quality of Service (QoS) data prioritization
- Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna technology
- Define up to 3 additional SSIDs
- One touch wireless connection using the WPS button
- Maximum reliability, throughput, and connectivity with automatic data rate switching
- Easy user setup wizard and intuitive Web browser configuration
- Coverage of up to 100 meters indoor (328ft.) and 300 meters outdoor (948ft.) *
- 3-year limited warranty
- *Maximum wireless signal rates are referenced from IEEE 802.11 theoretical specifications. Actual data throughput and coverage will vary depending on interference, network traffic, building materials and other conditions.
|HotHardware and CyberPower PC Spring...||115|
|Microsoft's Attempt To Convert Users...||32|
|Video Demo Pits 2012 Watch Dogs On PC...||19|
|Microsoft Confirms DirectX 12 Lives,...||15|
|Windows XP Slated To Be Mothballed April...||12|
|Xbox One May Still Get 1080p Titanfall...||9|
|$179 ASUS Chromebox Up For Preorder||9|