Today marks the first day of a brand new year, which means the web is littered with "best" and "worst" lists of 2012. Count Spotify
among them. The streaming
music service put together a rather extensive collection of the most popular bands, tracks, and genres of the past year, broken down by country.
In the U.S., Rihanna ranked as the most popular female vocalist, while David Guetta was the most popular male singer. Coldplay was the band most listened to, and tracks by Adele were shared more than any other artist.
Here's a look at the top tracks of the past year:
- Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye
- We Are Young - feat. Janelle Monae - Fun.
- Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
- Some Nights - Fun.
- Payphone - Maroon 5
- What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction
- Wild Ones - feat. Sla - Flo Rida
- Midnight City - M83
- Glad You Came - The Wanted
- Starships - Nicki Minaj
Pop, Hip Hop, and Dance were the most popular radio genres, followed by Country, Rock, Alternative, R&B, '90s, '80s, and Indie, in that order.
What kind of music did you listen to the most in 2012?