Reddit User Posts Pictures of "Exploded" Samsung Galaxy S III Device

A Reddit forum user is claiming that his Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone overheated and caught on fire in the wee hours of the morning, burning a hole in his mattress and filling his two-story home with the foul stench of burning plastic and electronics. It was a "loud noise and a weird squeaking sound" that originally awoke Reddit user "vizionx1208" from his slumber only to find that his smartphone was toasting itself.

"I jumped out of bed and turned the light on, only to see that my phone was just beginning to go on fire," vizionz1280 explains. "I dumped a glass of water I had in the room on it to stop it from burning...then woke up my brother to come help. The smoke smelled so bad and wafted through the entire second floor of my house."

Burnt Samsung Galaxy S III
Image Source: Reddit user vizionz1208

He escaped mostly unscathed, though some of the plastic that was melting and "kind of shooting out" of the device landed on his pinky causing a "very small burn."

According to vizionz1280, the burnt phone was a stock Samsung device that hadn't been rooted or tampered with in any way. Same goes for the battery, charger, and other accessories. Among the handful of pictures he posted, several show the battery pack all puffed up and "like a bag of liquid."

Samsung Galaxy S III Burnt Battery
Image Source: Reddit user vizionz1208

Vizionz1280 said he called Samsung and left a message with its product liability department. Though some of the other forum members are encouraging him to go for blood, vizionz1280 says he'd be content to have a new phone, mattress, and bed sheets.

"I was fortunate enough not to suffer real damages to myself or my property. I'm a reasonable person, I just want to be made whole," vizionz1280 said.
Via:  Reddit

blog comments powered by Disqus