Pr0n Has Subtitles? Who Knew?

VLC Player is a very useful media player, as it can play almost any sort of video codec you can name, and it's free. But if you like using VLC Player to look at the media files you acquire as you make your way across the video landscape, beware: the latest version of VLC has a big security flaw.

The problem occurs when a someone loads a subtitle file, which causes a buffer overflow that can be exploited. The security flaw is platform independent, which means it affects Windows, Mac and Linux users.

Initially it was reported that the flaws in version 0.8.6d were fixed in the latest release, but this turns out not to be the case. Auriemma writes: “The old buffer-overflow in the subtitles handled by VLC has not been fully patched in version 0.8.6e.”

I use VLC Player and love it. But I must not get out enough. I didn't know there even were discrete subtitle files on videos. But all you multilingual BitTorrent users take care out there on the Internet until VLC figures out the problem.
Via:  TorrentFreak
Tags:  WHO, BT, K
Comments
ice91785 6 years ago
I use VLC too and I don/t think I have ever enabled subtitles....like you say ***....subtitles? I don't know how you traslate it into text other than "ay dios mio!! SIIIIIIIIIIII" haha

Interesting though is that we JUST studied this in one of my security classes -- that is the method of overflowing a buffer to cause system instability and just "letting yourself in" Who knew school would teach me something
AjayD 6 years ago
There are many different subtitle file types, the most commonly used being *.ssa, *.srt, and *.sub. A lot of people use subs, primarily those who watch anime and people from other countries who want to watch American movies but don't speak English. Almost all the new releases get subbed into Swedish and various other languages. Personally I used to use VLC and still do occasionally, but I prefer Media Player Classic that comes in the CCCP.
frg1 6 years ago

well i dont use subtitles but do you think it would load anyways if it was on the movie

Crisis Causer 6 years ago

I use VLC for every video type, except RM which it is unable to do (as far as I know).  Luckily WMP can do RM.  If you're watching a video on your hard drive, how can this be exploited?  Someone attacking you online?  But you're watching a movie from the hard disc?  Sorry, I don't quite get what they're warning us aboot.

Anonymous 6 years ago

I use subtitles often,but it is a pain with VLC,I mostly use BSplayer

ice91785 6 years ago
I suppose it could be more directed towards streaming....
Anonymous 6 years ago