Mozilla Releases Second Firefox 3.1 alpha

Not satisfied with Firefox 3.0.1?  Want to see if Firefox 3.1 is really faster than Chrome, as Mozilla claims (though it's arguable)?  Well, last night Mozille released the second alpha for Firefox 3.1.  Note the word "alpha.:"  Beta is buggy enough, but Alpha starts to stretch the limits a little.
Shiretoko Alpha 2 is an early developer milestone for the next version of Firefox that is being built on top of Mozilla's Gecko 1.9.1 layout engine, Shiretoko Alpha 2 is being made available for testing purposes only, and is intended for web application developers and our testing community. Current users of Mozilla Firefox should not use Shiretoko Alpha 2.
Yes, they are indeed warning you away from this release, if you are not a developer.  That doesn't mean geeks and bleeding edge users (meaning, early adopters) can't try it, but they are giving as much warning as they can without putting up a big stop sign.

Mozilla says the following about new features in this release:
Shiretoko / Gecko 1.9.1 Alpha 2 introduces several new features:

* Support for the HTML 5 <video> element
    * Initial support for web worker threads
    * You can now drag and drop tabs between browser windows
    * Ability to make use of Aero "Glass" in XUL
    * Support for CSS 2.1 properties: ::before and ::after, and white-space:pre-line
    * Support for CSS 3 properties: -moz-border-image, word-wrap: break-word, text-shadow, box-shadow and column-rule
    * Performance improvements and new preference values for color management profile support

Some of the changes will affect web and platform compatibility.
BTW, although the faster Javascript engine, called TraceMonkey, is one of the highly touted features-to-be in Firefox 3.1, it was noted that the changes were not integrated into the Alpha 2 build.  If you want to try it, though, you can use a nightly build, and turn on the functionality via instructions here.
Via:  Mozilla
Comments
warlord 6 years ago

Think I will hold till a beta comes.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="warlord"]

Think I will hold till a beta comes.

Diddo. I actually went back to firefox 2 for a few weeks after 3 came out. I have to have my add ons and they lag behind new releases a bit.

Super Dave 6 years ago

C'mon guys, where's your quest for adventure?Wink

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

C'mon guys, where's your quest for adventure?Wink

I have my stable windows partition and my bleading edge linux partition. I break that one on a regular basis and wipe it clean and try another distro or a new beta release. As far as windows. I have it just they way I want it and I don't like messing with it to much.

3vi1 6 years ago

Unless you're a developer or tester trying to find things that are broken, there's no real reason to install it.

I don't really get why people are worked up because "it's faster". I'm running FF3.01 on Kubuntu alpha 5, and the sites I frequent load instantaneously. Which javascript-heavy apps, that aren't artificial browser speed testers, are people seeing improvement?

I just scored 4.17s on Sunspider and that's with a ton of other stuff running on my machine - and six browser tabs open.  It would probably be faster than that too, but I haven't rebooted since last Thursday.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

On my computer I have 4 browsers install as far as speed goes IE is the slowest by far then Flock, Firefox, and the fasest is Chrome. Chrome is noticeably faster than FF, but I'm happy with FFs speed and not ready to lost my add ons. FF is the browser I use everyday.