Microsoft's Windows 8 Certification Requirements Revealed

Remember the 'Vista Capable' lawsuit from a few years back? Microsoft appeared to have learned its lesson and enjoyed a much smoother roll out with Windows 7, and looking ahead, the Redmond software giant has already determined what will be required on the hardware side to run Windows 8. Microsoft actually released its "Windows 8 Hardware Certification Requirements" documents last month, but for the most part, it went largely unnoticed, by us included.

In any event, there are quite a few interesting tidbits included in the documents that have nothing do with the recent happenings with ARM. For example, Microsoft requires that Windows 8 PCs joined to a domain and without keyboards implement a new CTRL + ALT + DEL combination, which will be Windows Key + Power.

Steven Sinofsky holds a first generation Lenovo netbook with an Atom CPU and 1GB of RAM running Win 8

Microsoft is also requiring a 2-second resume (except for ARM), driver upgrades without needing to reboot, digitizers supporting a minimum of five touch points for Windows 8 touch PCs, and calls for Windows 8 tablets and convertible PCs to have exactly five buttons:
  1. Power
  2. Rotation lock
  3. Windows Key
  4. Volume up
  5. Volume down

Speaking of which, tablet and convertible PCs will have to sport at least 10GB of free space, UEFI firmware, WLAN and Bluetooth 4.0 + LE (low energy), a minimum resolution of 1366x768, a 720p camera, a various other hardware requirements.

You can check out the documents in more detail here.

Via:  Microsoft
Comments
cowboyspace 2 years ago

driver upgrades without  needing to reboot sounds good :) but i will always reboot even with that feature to ensure it has been well upgraded.. I already want to see windows 8 in my hands

JRosen1 2 years ago

"upgraded well"

Lol. Does no one else see the irony in this entire statement.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

haters around O_O

OMEGADraco 2 years ago

These hardware requirements don't sound too harsh and most modern systems will already be able to meet the specs. Now if only we can squash them locking the bootloader (of course the implications of that would mean no one can lock the bootloader).

RockyMtnChris09 2 years ago

I don't see myself jumping on with Win 8 but I wouldn't mind checking out Server 8. It's been 4 years since the last server OS???

cowboyspace 2 years ago

why you will not like to have Win 8?... are you a linux user O_O

rapid1 2 years ago

I have had Win 8 for quite a while now. Yes it is in beta form 3rd or 4th rel. now I think. I just don't like it as it complicates things to simplify them which makes no sense at all. I just don't like the layout basically at least as it stands right now.

rapid1 2 years ago

I could see the justification in the server version as NTFS is supposed to be gone with an entirely new backbone (Directory layout and functionality) replacing it!

cowboyspace 2 years ago

well, we'll get used to win 8 :) you will see but yea I agree with you neither did I, that layout should be replaced.

realneil 2 years ago

[quote user="cowboyspace"]well, we'll get used to win 8 :) you will see [/quote]

For desktop use,....the Metro UI Sux IMO,...........And their Beta will not let you turn it off without adding some legal mumbo-jumbo to the bottom of your screen. WTF?

And really,........what's wrong with Win-7?

I know some people b*tch about it being a memory hog and they say it's slow too. But on ~my PC's~ neither issue is apparent and it's really a great OS for me.

So when Win-8 is out, I should buy it for the 6 PC's in my house (spend a bloody fortune) when I have no issues with Win-7? No, I don't think so.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

realneil 2 years ago

[quote user="cowboyspace"]If you cant afford to buy win8 for 6 pc its ok we understand[/quote]

Smile

cowboyspace 2 years ago

Hahahahha ok nice quote I guess you got me ,I think i was drunk when I posted that hahhaha

cowboyspace 2 years ago

realneil 2 years ago

[quote user="cowboyspace"]There is nothing wrong with win 7 i think its the best OS for me. If you cant afford to buy win8 for 6 pc its ok we understand :) thats why you should not buy 6 pcs hehehehe[/quote]

[quote user="cowboyspace"]If you dont want to buy Win 8 just get the pirated version :) free with all its features *_________*[/quote]

No, ~you don't understand~,.......I didn't say that I couldn't afford to buy Windows 8,............I just don't want to.

As for the pirated version, nope, not me,...you go right ahead.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

Lol i know you didn't say "you Couldn't afford it" i was just making a point hehehehe :)

thunderdan602 2 years ago

I'm gonna stick with 64 bit Windows 7 pro for a while. Best operating system I have ever owned.

AKwyn 2 years ago

Doesn't sound too harsh, could actually help to unify Windows 8 tablets and lessen confusion, this may work. The only problem is getting their foot in the door in an already prominent tablet market.

AKnudson 2 years ago

Awwwww yeah all windows tablets are getting an upgrade here i come full document editing photoshop printing and anything i feel the need to do, the world is my playground, i just one of these badboys with an i-7 proccessor and i will pretty much be set for the next hmmmmmmm 6 months.