Is That 54 DVDs In Your Pocket Or A Flash Drive?

C'mon - you know you've always wanted to be able to carry 54 DVDs in your pocket.

Kingston Technology Europe has come out with a 256GB USB flash drive, which can hold a LOT of stuff. How much? Try 51,000 images. Or how about 365 CDs (one for every day of the year)? A database of documents that, if printed out and piled up, would reach 1 kilometer high? Or, of course, the aforementioned 54 DVDs, though one might suppose that would depend on what kind of movies were on those DVDs: three-hour epics such as Ben-Hur or Gone with the Wind versus, say, the 97-minute Weekend At Bernie's.

The drive can be password-protected on Windows systems and "is enhanced for Windows Readyboost," which means it has super-fast speeds on Vista machines. It also has a five-year warranty and round-the-clock tech support.

The specs:
  • Capacity — 256 GB
  • Speed — Data transfer rates of up to 20 MB/sec. read and 10 MB/sec. write
  • Safeguarded — includes Password Traveler security software for Windows
  • Convenient — does not require Administrator rights to access the Privacy Zone
  • Dimensions — 2.78” x 0.67” x 0.87” (70.68 mm x 16.90 mm x 21.99 mm)
  • Operating Temperature — 32° to 140° F (0° to 60° C)
  • Storage Temperature — -4° to 185° F (-20° to 85° C)
  • Simple — just plug into a USB port
  • Practical — durable, capless design
  • Guaranteed — five-year warranty
  • Enhanced — for Windows ReadyBoost™ on Vista-based systems

They're made on an order-only basis, but can be purchased through Kingston resellers and e-tailers (list of places to purchase them are on Kingston's site).
Via:  t-break.com
Comments
Dave_HH 5 years ago

Happy to see you? Or is it cold out? Doh! Had to be said...

mikel_hh 5 years ago

Please use a unit of measure for data I can understand. 54 DVDs?! How much is that in Libraries of Congress, Encyclopædia Britannica, or King James Bibles?

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

I still maintain that I would loss the thing in a week. I have managed to hold on to my two 8GB sticks for a while though I can't find my 1GB stick. Huh?

mentaldisorder 5 years ago

I wouldn't even know what to do with so much space on a flash drive. Of course I said the same about 500gb, a few years ago...and now I have almost 2TB of storage.

ice91785 5 years ago

Plug it into an un-used USB and regularly back up your PC using MS's "synctoy" (set it up as an automated task in scheduler and you are set); although you'd have to not include videos I am sure....

3vi1 5 years ago

>> Is That 54 DVDs In Your Pocket Or A Flash Drive?

It's 54DVDs... I never got the memo about parachute pants going out of style.

3vi1 5 years ago

Someone should patent a thumbdrive where you could daisy-chain multiple drives into the back of the others for unlimited storage on a single drive letter.

(off to patent that...)

mentaldisorder 5 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

(off to patent that...)

That sounds pretty ridiculous and I don't think that would work well.