Browser-based gaming innovator InstantAction today announced the immediate availability of a new direct-to-consumer online video game distribution platform that enables game creators to embed any video game anywhere on the web, including blogs, email, and social media sites such as Facebook and MySpace.
Using a hybrid combination of in-browser, thin-client, and progressive downloading technologies, InstantAction makes embedding premium video games as easy as uploading a standard video or photo, and at equivalent speeds. As a result, game creators can dramatically expand distribution by putting games where consumers are online and in settings where friends' recommendations and invitations are most powerful.
LucasArts announced last night at GDC they are using the InstantAction platform for online distribution of The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, which is launching soon.
Benefits of InstantAction for consumers:
- Browse and sample the actual game for free, or consume content in a pay-as-you-go method. No more paying large sums up front, sight unseen.
- Instant access. You don't have to wait hours to have access to the game... you're literally playing in just a couple of minutes.
- Better than ownership of a game... InstantAction is an entitlement-based platform. Once you've paid for the game, whether it was incrementally or in one chunk, you own it. You can play it on your computer, on your friend's computer, on a hundred computers. As long as you're logged in as yourself, you can play it. Additionally, all saved games are stored on InstantAction servers and backed up regularly.
Benefits of InstantAction for game creators:
- Free trials & rent-to-own capabilities put games instantly in front of more potential consumers.
- "Sample as you go" models produce more revenue and more loyal customers.
- The ability to embed a game anywhere means consumers can play a game inside the review site, on a fan site, and inside their Facebook or MySpace pages. Embed a game in the same way you'd embed a YouTube video... send an html email with a game just like you would a picture. Invite friends in your social network to play in same way you'd share pictures or movies. InstantAction is the only platform that offers this capability.
|Are You Willing To Pay For An Ad Free...||54|
|Pwned By A Girl! Women Gamers Now...||17|
|AMD Hosting '30 Years of Graphics and...||10|
|China Developing Its Own OS To Take On...||9|
|Seagate Ships World’s First 8 Terabyte...||8|
|AMD Unveils R9 285 Graphics Powerhouse,...||8|
|Apple Opens iPhone 5 Battery Replacement...||7|