We hadn't heard anything from GigaPan
in a long, long while, but the
company responsible for creating some of the most unique and most
automated panoramic picture takers is beefing up one of their nicest
products, the EPIC Pro. If you aren't familiar with the company, they
produce panoramic robots that hold your camera and then automatically
pan it around to create the perfect panoramic shot. The EPIC Pro robotic
camera mount is becoming even more functional this week courtesy of a
new firmware update, which gives photographers a wider
range of functions, including new settings to enhance high dynamic
ranges (HDR) imaging.
Current EPIC Pro users can download the new firmware to replace the
previous version, at no additional charge. It'll provide exposure
bracketing for HDR, a dedicated mirror lock-up setting, time display,
time lapse panoramas, and additional aspect ratios. The EPIC Pro itself
runs $895, which is far from inexpensive, but if you're shooting
top-quality landscapes and sporting events, it's quite possible that
this solution would be worth it. Hey, at least firmware v171 is free!
AWARD-WINNING GIGAPAN EPIC PRO NOW HAS NEW FEATURES
New Firmware Release Further Empowers DSLRs to Capture High-Res Panoramas
PORTLAND, Ore. – April 22, 2011 – A new version of firmware is available for the awardwinning GigaPan EPIC Pro robotic camera mount. New firmware gives photographers a wider range of functions, including new settings to enhance high dynamic ranges (HDR) imaging.
Customers who purchase the EPIC Pro will receive a free extra battery pack, complimentary with their purchase, for a limited time. Learn more
Current EPIC Pro users can download the new firmware to replace the previous version, at no additional charge. The new firmware download is available here.
New firmware features include:
* Exposure Bracketing for HDR Capture – Works with your camera’s AEB (automatic exposure bracketing) firmware to capture multiple exposures per position. Can exceed the camera firmware's brackets and exposure separation when in 'Bulb' mode.
* Dedicated Mirror Lock-up Setting – Helps prevent blurriness in photos when using larger, heavier lenses, where lack of settling is amplified by optical magnification.
* Time Display – Displays the hours and minutes it will take the EPIC Pro to capture a panorama, based on your settings. Ideal for time-sensitive shoots, such as events, or when remaining daylight is limited.
* Time Lapse Panoramas – Allows you to capture a sequence of panoramas over a set period of time with a new timer.
* Additional Aspect Ratios – Provides custom values (0.50:1, 0.55:1… through 2.00:1) in addition to standard values: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9.
For more information on the features of the new firmware, see the EPIC Pro Online Manual.
GigaPan EPIC robotic mounts empower cameras to take hundreds, even thousands of photos, which are combined to create one highly detailed image with amazing depth and clarity. The EPIC Pro is designed to work with DSLR cameras and larger lenses, features advanced technology, and delivers stunning performance and precision. Strong enough to hold a camera and lens combination of up to 10 lbs, the EPIC Pro enables users to capture enormous panoramas with crisp, vivid detail. View list of compatible cameras.
Pricing and Availability
The GigaPan EPIC Pro with new firmware, version 171, is available now for $895 and includes a rechargeable battery pack and link to download GigaPan Stitch software. For more information and to purchase any of the three models in the EPIC series, visit