Frankly, the movie theatre experience has become more of an annoyance for us than anything else, what with people answering or chatting on cellphones, the noise, and people even setting fireworks off (it was July 4, but still). This probably isn't going to drag us back into the theater, but it's still cool. Fandango has released an iPhone app
that doesn't stop at allowing you to check out movies and theatre locations, it allows over-the-air ticket purchases.
Yep, it's far more than just a way to browse and find movies. You can view movie information, read fan reviews, and using the iPhone's GPS capabilities, you can find theaters near your current location (and get a Google map, as well).
You can also watch trailers, on either wi-fi or cellular. Here is a list of features:
- In theaters
- Coming Soon
- Watch trailers
- Read synopses, cast lists, run times and view fan ratings
Purchase Tickets in a Flash:
- Find theaters closest to you using iPhone and iPod touch’s core location feature
- Add theaters to a “Favorites” list for faster searching
- Discover theater amenities such as Print at Home ticketing and stadium seating
- Connect with Google Maps to find driving directions
- Quick and easy ticketing available for more movie screens (16,000 and counting!) than on any other app
- Securely store credit card information for faster purchasing
- Buy up to 10 tickets at a time
- Ability to review your purchase history
Obviously, even prior to this, you could simply browse to the Fandango website in Safari (which was, natch, a nice experience) but this app makes things all the easier.
What would be even nicer is if we could walk up to the feature and beam our confirmation for the show to some kiosk that would print our tickets.
Then again, what would be nicest is to not have to pay a premium for Fandango itself (the iPhone app is free), but hey, they are trying to make money.