Does the world really need another content portal? There's already cable TV, Netflix
. And now this? Why, sure! There's never enough when it comes to alternative content viewing options, and now DivX TV is coming to select LG products. DivX TV is Sonic Solutions' new comprehensive entertainment service that enables retailers and consumer electronics manufacturers to bring a broad range of web-based content to home and mobile electronics.
The service delivers over 10000 videos for now, and it's capable of scaling to premium material as well. Launched in October 2010, DivX TV is currently available on LG Electronics' BD550, BD570 and BD590 Blu-ray Disc players and LHB335, LHB535 and LHB975 home theater systems for sale in the United States through leading retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon. As part of this launch, DivX has also updated its content line up, spanning multiple genres such as automotive, business, how-to, humor, music and more. These new shows join a large and diverse roster of existing online content such as Associated Press, CNET, and Revision3.
There's no charge for access to the service, which is a major plus, but of course premium content could change that in the future. Either way, competition in this new wave of content consumption is never a bad thing.
DivX TV™ Launches on LG Consumer Electronics
Comprehensive service brings the best web entertainment to connected devices
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- DivX®, a division of Sonic Solutions® (Nasdaq: SNIC), today announced the launch of DivX TV™, the company's comprehensive entertainment service that enables retailers and consumer electronics manufacturers to bring a broad range of web-based content to home and mobile electronics. DivX TV offers a rapidly growing library of more than 10,000 high-quality videos and is capable of powering the distribution of any video content, including premium services. A one-stop shop for consumer electronics companies and retailers that want to provide on-demand access to popular Internet videos, original web programming, and customized content, DivX TV is easy to integrate into virtually any connected device at the chip level. The service can also be used to complement and enhance existing over-the-top content or application platforms.
Launched in October 2010, DivX TV is currently available on LG Electronics' BD550, BD570 and BD590 Blu-ray Disc players and LHB335, LHB535 and LHB975 home theater systems for sale in the United States through leading retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon. As part of this launch, DivX has also updated its content line up, spanning multiple genres such as automotive, business, how-to, humor, music and more. These new shows join a large and diverse roster of existing online content such as Associated Press, CNET, and Revision3.
New DivX TV content sources include:
* New York Financial Press (NYFP.tv) — Leading provider of premium video content reporting throughout the day from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, the NASDAQ and Paris.
* Baeblemusic — Leading destination and producer of high quality exclusive music programming focused on the best emerging artists of today and tomorrow.
* Funny or Die — Award-winning, top destination for comedy with hundreds of exclusive celebrity videos and a steady stream of huge viral hits, Funny Or Die has become the "place to be seen" for comedic celebrities, and the obvious destination for a daily comedy fix.
* Howcast — Provider of high-quality how-to videos that empower the world with engaging, useful how-to content for daily life and enjoyment.
* Video Detective.com — The net's biggest library of movie trailers, from the newest releases to the timeless classics, plus DVD releases, video game trailers, TV promos, contests and more.
* OneScreen Media Exchange — Enabling branded channels for DivX TV across genres such as entertainment, health, cooking, and automotive with more to come.
* Small Business Television (SBTV.com) — Provider of valuable video news and informative feature segments to help small business owners manage, grow, and be inspired.
* UltraSlo — Slow motion film experience and window in our everyday world, captivating audiences and serving over 80 million videos online with its award-winning ultra slow motion and 3D film technology.
In addition to the breadth of quality Internet programming available, DivX TV is also customizable. Users can bookmark their favorite shows and create personalized channels across all sources with saved searches, making it easy for consumers to find content to match their particular area of interest.
"DivX TV is a compelling solution for manufacturers like LG seeking to differentiate their product lines with a best-in-class Internet video experience," said Matt Milne, Executive Vice President and General Manager, DivX. "Consumers have responded very positively to the launch of DivX TV and the entertainment control and selection the service provides them. We look forward to working with our partners and bringing more quality web programming such as CNET and Funny or Die to the living room."
Peter Reiner, Senior Vice President, Marketing, LG Electronics USA, echoed Milne's comments: "Sonic's DivX TV service brings a rich variety of compelling content to LG Blu-ray customers, enhancing their connected home entertainment experience."
Providing access to free, high-quality Web entertainment beyond the PC, DivX TV also serves as a complement to Sonic's RoxioNow™ platform, which enables direct device access to paid Hollywood entertainment. Collectively, these solutions enhance the connected device experience, offering consumers more choice, convenience, and control over their entertainment. Sonic will be demonstrating DivX TV and RoxioNow at CES 2011.
DivX creates, distributes, and licenses digital video technologies that span the "three screens" comprising today's consumer media environment — the PC, television, and mobile devices. Over 350 million DivX devices have shipped into the market worldwide from leading consumer electronics manufacturers. DivX also offers content providers and publishers a complete solution for the distribution of secure, high-quality digital video content. Driven by a globally recognized brand and a passionate community of hundreds of millions of consumers, DivX is simplifying the video experience to enable the digital home. For more information, visit www.divx.com.