Lightning smartphone that was leaked to the world months ago has finally become a reality, but it's not what you think: the Lightning code name has been thrown aside for something that's much more esoteric. Dell's newest smartphone
is the Venue Pro, and unlike most of the Windows Phone 7 units announced today, this unit actually isn't going to AT&T. Instead, it's going to T-Mobile USA.
The Venue Pro is a real powerhouse, and it looks to rival the newly introduced DROID PRO by Motorola. This phone has a huge display, a 4.1" WVGA AMOLED capacitive touch panel that supports multi-touch. That's up there with the DROID X, and it won't be for people with small pockets. There's also a full sliding QWERTY portrait keyboard, which is rare on a phone with a touch screen this large. It also relies on Gorilla Glass to shed breakage concerns, and of course it will rely on Microsoft's new Windows Phone 7 operating system.
Pricing, including plan options, is to be determined, but we suspect it will be in stores before Christmas one way or another.
Meet the new Dell Venue Pro Smartphone with Windows Phone 7
It’s true! Get ready to experience a more productive you with Dell’s new Venue Pro Windows Phone 7 smartphone with T-Mobile service set to be available in the U.S. this holiday season. It’s about mobile productivity…doing more in fewer steps…just the way you want it.
Bill Gorden here, Smartphone General Manager within Dell’s Communication Solutions Group. Today I’m here at Center 548 with my colleague Julie Hrudicka in New York City, representing Dell at the launch event for Microsoft’s all-new Windows Phone 7 operating system. Center 548 is a hip international cultural arts exhibition and event venue located in Manhattan’s Chelsea gallery district. We’re here talking to media, bloggers and attendees about the benefits of the new Windows Phone platform, the Dell Venue Pro, and new experiences customers will enjoy. I'm willing to bet reaction from Windows Phone 7 will continue to drive the front page of Techmeme for a while.
Update from Lionel: Click on any of these Dell Venue Pro images to see larger versions.
You might ask, who the Dell Venue Pro is for? We see the Venue Pro for everyday people with a diverse range of full and busy lives. They need to stay connected, be productive and keep in touch with colleagues, friends and family. Dell designed the Venue Pro to be a multi-purpose always-connected device to help people be more efficient, always connected and entertained.
So, while we're not yet ready to share all details of the Dell Venue Pro, let me highlight some of its key features:
* Stunning 4.1” WVGA AMOLED capacitive, multi-touch display
* A full portrait QWERTY keyboard to provide a better viewing & messaging experience
* Supported with T-Mobile service
* Elliptical, slender form provides elegance in a pocket-friendly size
* Gorilla Glass for unprecedented durability and scratch resistanceDell Venue Pro Windows Phone 7 (no keyboard)
And, since we’re here in New York participating in Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 launch, let me call out some of the highlights and use cases for the new operating system:
* People hub: Enter social central to scan Windows Live and Facebook feeds and photos, in addition to dialing or texting friends in the address book.
* Pictures hub: Share photos easily from pictures saved to the phone, Facebook and Windows Live. Go from pocket to picture in seconds with a press of the camera button, and send photos from the hub to friends or post to Windows Live or Facebook.
* Games hub: Play games with friends, track scores and wins in the gamer profile. With more than 50 popular game titles available at launch, try-before-you-buy demos, Xbox LIVE leader boards, turn-based multiplayer, achievements and more, Windows Phone 7 brings the quality, consistency and community of the Xbox experience to gamers on the go.
* Music + Video: Play movies, TV shows and music quickly. Enjoy custom playlists, listen to podcasts and recommend favorite songs to friends.
* Office hub: View, edit, share and sync Microsoft Office documents. Collaborate with co-workers through SharePoint Workspace Mobile.
* Marketplace hub: Get quality applications like games, music, entertainment, news, sports, social networking, productivity, travel and many more. Apps are tested and certified to deliver a consistently great experience. Marketplace is also accessible through a PC client that is integrated into Microsoft’s popular Zune software.