AT&T to Jump on Shared Data Bandwagon

Speaking at the D9 conference earlier this week, AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega confirmed that the wireless carrier is "working on" a shared data plan. There aren't any plans in place just yet, nor did the CEO say what kind of price points AT&T is looking at, but the idea of having a single data plan for homes with multiple devices is one that is long overdue.

It's an idea that Verizon is considering, and one that T-Mobile just recently implemented. The shared data tiers for T-Mobile are:
  • 10GB for $120/month
  • 5GB for $90/month
  • 2GB for $80/month
  • 200MB for $70/month
Under T-Mobile's terms, Family Plans are good for up to 5 devices, and while the tiers look pricey at a glance, it's a lot more affordable than paying $30+ per line for a data plan.

As far as AT&T goes, Ralph de la Vega said the wireless carrier will introduce shared data plans soon, though stopped shy of announcing a launch data.
Via:  All Things D
Comments
omegadoom13 3 years ago

It's about time AT&T. Nice bit of news. Thanks Paul!

omegadraco 3 years ago

The markup on data is pretty ridiculous. It costs a telecom almost nothing to transmit the data.

+ I have unlimited everything on all 4 of my Sprint phones and my entire plan is only 160 a month so 120 for 10GB is kinda sucky.

mentaldisorder 3 years ago

The prices are pretty terrible. Usually you see prices going down a few years down, but not with data plans. They seem to keep going up.

LLeCompte 3 years ago

the prices are pretty bad, you actually only save money with it if you have 4 or more lines.

inspector 3 years ago

The price is way off, but the idea is in. Im going to be needing to get one of these plans but im not getting it from AT&T, seeing unlimited is out and capped is in :(.

HHGrrl 3 years ago

I can see a place for these shared data plans, especially for people who have multiple smartphone users in a family or a tablet or two with cell service. I just wish the prices for these plans would come down. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I keep wishing!

omegadoom13 3 years ago

I feel the same way!  If data transfers cost next to nothing for these companies, why do they continue to charge such high rates?  Are there hidden costs that I'm not aware of here?   Anyway, I wish prices for these plans would come down too.  :)

AKwyn 3 years ago

[quote user="omegadoom13"]

No hidden costs; but this is the mind blowing reason why they do it.

And that reason is: money.

If only more customers would take a stand to AT&T's business practices then maybe they might be forced to change their ways in order to keep any customers from leaving.