Lock up the netbook
, put away the eBook reader, and for Heaven's sake man, hide that wimpy tablet
. While you're at it, go ahead and shuttle all of your other mobile devices out of sight, because AIS's new 12.1-inch Rugged Vehicle Computer (RVC) will eat all those for breakfast.
It's not that AIS's RVC comes equipped with high-end components -- it doesn't -- but this thing is ready to go to war (and offroading) with a bevy of safeguards for just about any kind of harsh environment you can think of.
It all starts with a rugged aluminum alloy housing protecting the internal parts. According to AIS, its new device meets the Military Standard 810F specs for anti-shock and vibration, but that only tells part of the story. The RVC purportedly comes ready to handle extreme temperatures, dusty locales, and even includes a built-in UPS battery backup that will keep the device juiced for an additional 30 minutes when you go chasing game further than you originally intended.
Less impressive is the Celeron M 575 (2.0GHz) foundation and 1GB of DDR2, though this can be upgraded up to 4GB. Other specs include six USB 2.0 ports (including 2 waterproof ports on the front), VGA port, audio jacks, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, LAN, and a single 2.5-inch SATA drive bay.
AIS Releases a 12.1” Rugged Vehicle Computer Featuring a Built-in Smart Battery Backup and High Brightness Touch Screen Display for Harsh Environments
IRVINE, Calif.--American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS) introduces a 12.1” Rugged Vehicle Computer designed to reliably operate in strong vibration, extreme temperatures, dusty and harsh environmental conditions. The HMI Vehicle PC features a built-in UPS battery backup system, capable of sustaining the unit for up to 30 minutes in the event of loss of power. This is ideal for delayed system shutdown for data transmission, mission critical applications, and logging application. A 1,000 nit high brightness LCD display provides sharp crisp images in direct sunlight, for superior indoor and outdoor performance. The ultra-rugged vehicle display is available commercially off the shelf (COTS), enabling immediate deployment and reduced time to market.
A rugged aluminum alloy housing protects the internal components, meeting Military Standard 810F specs for anti-shock and vibration requirements. The front bezel is sealed to IP65 compliant water and dustproof standards. Powering the rugged computer is a high performance fanless Intel Celeron M processor and GM45 chipset, designed for long product life cycle and reliable operation in industrial conditions. The ruggedized system is capable of withstanding -10 to 55 degrees Celsius operating temperatures and is compliant with Military 810F standards for anti-shock, vibration, and drop, providing a robust vehicle mounted system in extreme environments.
Staying connected is simple with built-in dual gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n wireless support, and a wide array of I/O connections on the rear for external peripherals. AIS’ vehicle computer system accepts a wide voltage range input, 9 to 28V, for easy deployment into a variety of transportation vehicles. AIS’ commercially available touchscreen vehicle computer provides a cost effective, long life cycle system for logistics, warehousing, vehicles, transportation, and industrial industries where performance and reliability are paramount.
Feature and Benefits:
- 12” Industrial LCD Display, High Resolution (1024 x 768), High Brightness (1,000 nits) and Contrast (700:1)
- Built-in UPS Smart Battery Backup with 30-40 minutes operating time
- Built-in Low-Power Processor (Intel Celeron M)
- Built-in 802.11a/b/g mini-PCI Wi-Fi module
- Built-in anti-reflective surface and 1,000 nits high brightness display for sunlight readability
- Built-in light sensor for extended lamp and backlight lifetime
- IP65 sealed front bezel for water & dustproof protection
- Aluminum Die-cast housing material provides environmental resistance to contaminants and hazards
- HMI (Human Machine Interface) 5 wire resistive touch screen ready platform
- Wide range 9 to 28V DC power input
- Wide range operation temperature (-10 to 55 degrees Celsius)
- Support embedded operating systems include Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE 5.0
- MIL-810F environmental engineering compliance for shock & vibration, and drop resistance
- CE, CB, and FCC certified, and RoHS compliant