Razer Unleashes Razer Edge Gaming PC/Tablet/Console, We Go Hands On at CES 2013

Plenty of folks thought that Razer was blowing smoke when it announced that it was developing a high end gaming tablet, dubbed Project Fiona, at last year’s CES. A year later, lo and behold, the company has a whole booth full of them at CES 2013. And the device is gorgeous.

After garnering loads of input from actual PC gamers, Razer put together what is, in the most basic sense, a 10.1-inch tablet, albeit one loaded with high-end hardware and also essentially a Windows 8 PC and a portable gaming console, all wrapped up in one device. There are two models slated for release in Q1, with the base model set for a price tag of $999.

The Razer Edge Pro

Before we get into the specs, here’s a tasty sampling of the Edge in action:

The sticker shock subsides rather quickly when you consider what’s inside the Edge. The base model runs an Intel Core i5 chip with NVIDIA GT 640M LE graphics, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 64GB SSD. The more heavily-spec’d Razer Edge Pro will be rocking a dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, with double the RAM (2x4GB DDR3-1600) and up to 256GB of SSD storage, with Intel HD 4000 graphics in conjunction with the NVIDIA GPU. Both versions have Windows 8 on board.

There’s also a 2.0MP HD webcam, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, stereo speakers, and dual array mics.

Razer will be offering bundles with the Edge and Edge Pro, including the piece de resistance--the Gamepad Controller--which is fully programmable, with dual analog sticks, vibration feedback, and plenty of buttons and triggers to enable gaming “right out of the box”. You can already pre-order the Gamepad Controller for $249, and note that it includes USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0.

An optional keyboard dock is also coming late this year and will enable users to interact with the Edge using a good old-fashioned keyboard and mouse combo, and a $99 docking station delivers a trio of USB 2.0 ports as well as HDMI 1.4 and mic and stereo out jacks. The docking station also serves up the gaming goodness to a TV, so users can hook up multiple gamepade controllers and game with friends. A $69 extended battery will double the battery life of the Edge as well.  We'll be circling back with Razer in the weeks ahead for a review unit, so stick around!
Via:  Razer
Comments
3vi1 one year ago

Hmmm... That's actually not too bad! If it performs well enough without flying through the battery and people can stomach the price, it's a good fit for Windows 8 on tablets.

Dorkstar one year ago

I'm kind of impressed with it as well.  I think Razer did a good job at designing it, but the price point just seems a little too high still.

3vi1 one year ago

Yeah... the price point is kind of high, if you're going to buy it just for gaming... but even the Neo Geo sold a few units in its day. So, I can see some people getting it... with the justification that they can dock it to the keyboard and use it as a computer.

The real downer is likely to be the battery life. BUT, gamers that are used to a 3DS XL wouldn't really expecting much more than 4 or 5 hours anyway... and might tolerate it, whereas I think it would be a flop if targeted as a general purpose tablet. NOTE: I'm guessing at the 4 hour life based on the CPU/GPU architecture, it may be better.

BurntChz one year ago

I think it's a cool concept, but I agree with 3vi1, the battery life is going to be terrible. The other thing that will hold it back is the size of the thing ...when I think 'portable', I think of something I can put in a pocket or my coat. This thing would require a backpack or carry case to walk around with. The other thing I'm wondering is, how heavy is it? I can't imagine it would be that comfortable to hold onto for extended gaming.

Dave_HH one year ago

I personally think the device has promise but honestly I couldn't handle it with those little joysticks. I'm a PC gamer through and through. My son puts the beat down on me with a console controller. :)

Sevags one year ago

At first glance I thought it was silly but after reading the specs and realizing the controller peripheral is removable I have to say I'm impressed! I don't think the price is too high either considering the different devices it brings together. If we just compare to x86 win8 tablets like the SurfacePro it's not a great deal more base price VS. base price while the edge seems to be on par with the sPro? While the edgePro takes it up a notch. Good looking keyboard. I would never buy the controller sticks I just don't play games nearly enough to justify paying that for a controller and if I'm already lugging around that much bulk I can stand to bring a keyboard and mouse instead. So that said I don't like the fact that the keyboard won't be released until "later this year" as I would want to purchase them together.

Can't wait for reviews and would actually consider one if reviews are better than the sPro.

MayhemMatthew one year ago

Too heavy, too thick, not enough battery. Too many downsides for me. Sorry.

scolaner one year ago

I should note that even with the Gamepad Controller, the whole package is remarkably light and comfortable. I would have stayed put and played with that thing all day if I'd had the time!

OSunday one year ago

For normal use it's supposed to be in the 8-10 hour range but I could easily see that being cut in half when using up more power for graphics and games, there is also supposed to be a sort of battery pack attachment to extend that but when you put to many add ons to a tablet you start to use portability and that's sort of the purpose of a tablet in the first place isn't it?

Either way this is one heck of a device and for it's specs even though it's pricier than the windows RT it's price is more justified. Aside from just gaming this thing can compete much better with tablets in general

sevags one year ago

Agreeing Osunday this is the best tablet for gaming for far and if that's what you're looking for this is a great option. If you don't play a single game the CPU and graphics power over the sPro justifies th price. If you want to web browse ONLY yeah buy a Kindle Hd cheaper and plenty of power.

digitaldd one year ago

Seems like a solid product and several folks had it as best of Show @ CES 2013. Only thing is the docks all cost extra which bring the up quite a bit. $250 for the gaming dock, $100 for the TV/keyboard dock, $70 for the extended battery.