AMD Still The Go-To For Next Gen Xbox Console Processor

Rumor has it--er, has had it--that the Xbox 720 “Durango”, which is potentially slated to debut in May, would have AMD silicon inside. A Bloomberg report further points to that rumor as being highly likely. Citing anonymous sources, Bloomberg says that the Xbox 720 will run on an AMD “Jaguar” SoC, which means that the Xbox will shift from IBM’s Power PC technology to an x86 architecture.

That’s great news for game developers, who previously had to deal with creating games for the PC and then retooling them for consoles. (Sony’s PlayStation 4 will also have an AMD Jaguar SoC inside.) Now, they can easily port games from the PC to next-gen consoles.

Xbox 720

Unfortunately, that means that the Xbox 720 won’t be backwards compatible with older titles. Your collection of Xbox 360 discs? They’ll be coasters if you upgrade to the new Xbox--unless of course Microsoft comes up with some sort of emulator to allow previous games to run on the new hardware.

Kinect
Always-on Kinect? Creepy

Usually when the rumor mill churns just before a hot new product release, the leaked features are exciting, but it seems as though every time we hear something about the new Xbox, it’s a mixed bag. The hardware sounds great, but Durango will reportedly require an always-on connection (with always-on Kinect!), will lock out used games, and will not be backwards compatible with older titles that you purchased new. Eh, maybe your $500 could be better spent on something else.
Via:  Bloomberg
Comments
NickModrowski one year ago

Happy for AMD, but not interested at all in next-gen console gaming. Getting ready to retire my 10 year old Xbox Live subscription.

ChuckRenninger one year ago

That's great..AMD for both Xbox and PS4..wonder if Microsoft is going to go with dedicated graphics or use an APU like sony?

This stuff is pretty much mundane to me now..I'm a PC gamer anymore..too much nonsense and stupid DLC on consoles..

When I was a kid, like back in the N64 Vs. PS1 days..this would have me awe-struck..All these years..and I'm still hyped that the N64 used a silicon graphics (SGI) risc processor and RAMBUS ram memory..lol

(As I look over to my intel p3 coppermine cpu based computer..oh..those were the days..)

My last thought? Fanboys etc...?

Stuff like this is why AMD is NOT going out of business anytime soon..

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="ChuckRenninger"]

My last thought? Fanboys etc...?

Stuff like this is why AMD is NOT going out of business anytime soon..

I could not agree with you more on the subject. Everyone though ARM or someone was going to buy our AMD but I do think between the two contracts they landed and the GPU business they are fine as long as they keep making smart decisions. I don't plan on buying a next gen console from Microsoft or Sony but I do like they are actually getting some decent specs in those now. Then again im slightly surprised they didn't go higher in their specs.

Thats and long live the N64 and Goldeneye!

thunderdan602 one year ago

As much as i love and prefer pc gaming, i can see why consoles do have an appeal. Both if these new systems, Microsoft's and Sony's, sound very nice. And it's nice being able to buy a console and not have to worry about upgrading components a year or 2 later.

OSunday one year ago

Glad to see AMD getting a little bit of play in their favor. This is good news for Game Dev's too since crossing platforms will be a lot easier as well.

This really is going to put a lot more pressure on Sony and Microsoft since they won't be able to rely on title exclusives to their consoles (unless they lock them in with contracts which will still happen like Bungie's Destiny for PS4)

The interfaces, services,prices and online communities are going to be getting a lot more focus since that focus was previously on hardware and game titles which look like they're now going to be more synonymous between the two consoles.

This will get even more interesting when PC gaming becomes a more direct competitor to consoles with the Steam Box and big picture.

KOwen one year ago

So where the hell is Intel? Do they feel so confident in their market share lead over AMD that they are willing to miss out on the entire wave of next-gen consoles?

I have to agree with NickModrowski. This generation of upcoming consoles seems to lack any real hype in my eyes. It's probably the lack of revolutionary and jaw dropping graphics like the switch from SD to HD. But with consoles beefed up maybe game developers will be able to push the envelope of PC graphics a bit further without worrying about porting issues.

OSunday one year ago

I don't feel like Intel has much to worry about, even if this is a big gain for AMD it's only because they haven't been doing so well lately.

Intel dominates the corporate and business markets with things like servers and stuff which is a ton more profitable than consoles are and generates more revenue for them. Intels current market is still dominant even with AMD looking like it'll have reign over consoles

acarzt one year ago

With everyone going x86 maybe we will finally see some cross platform online gaming.

Also, the PS4 is starting to look more appealing to me compared to this new xbox...

Johnny3D one year ago

It's doubtful you'll see cross platform online gaming anytime soon. The primary reason is not so much the system running it, but the controls. Put simply, PC users with Keyboard+Mouse absolutely dominate over console controller users when it comes to things like FPS games. It's possible for other genres for it to work, but again, doubtful.

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="Johnny3D"]

I agree with you about why not but I am curious why major MMOs hasn't tried the cross platform as far as I know. I remember when the beta for BF3 came out their was a rumor PC and Xbox were going to be playing together but got nixed real quick if I remember correctly. I mean if PC and console gaming came together the guys on the consoles will still be at a disadvantage regardless but it would be interesting.

OSunday one year ago

In that test and every other one that's occurred PC gamers have literally blown console gamers out of the water.

However I feel like console makers need to consider that although FPS is a major category of gaming that there are others as well like MMO's, RPG's etc. that would mesh will with going cross platform (Minecraft for example ), or even consider supporting PC peripherals (since consoles, and especially the next gen are essentially computers) to level the playing field and hardware compatibility.

Hell supporting a mouse and keyboard could even draw PC gamers more towards console gaming.

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="OSunday"]

What keyboard and mouse would you use though? I would not want to set something up to place a keyboard and mouse on but I do see where you are going. See if motion technology can go further and further which it seems Microsoft has made a pretty good investment in the Kinect then I could for MMOs and stuff PC and console being on a similar level. Mouse and keyboard give us PC gamers so much freedom to dictate our movement that a console on its best day cannot. As far as the steam box that will make it very interesting. I could see Valve being first in trying to get the PC gamers in with console I just do not know where the Steam Box is going to land and what segment Valve is going for. I like big picture and I bought a wireless controller adapter for my PC a long time ago mainly for anything that requires a joystick. It works great with big picture but the question is will Valve stay with PC gamers or try to take a chunk out of the console market? Also if they go after consoles how will PC accounts transfer over if at all? If I bought a steam box would I have to repurchase games to play with the other consoles or not.

NickModrowski one year ago