Swype Beta Opens to All; Unclear for How Long
Swype allows you to "swipe your finger" from key to key and draw a word. If it can't determine what the word is it will give you a list of words to pick from. Unfortunately, if you try typing with it and assume it is correct, you may end up what some call "Swype-isms" ... mistakes because it predicted the wrong word.
Here's what Swype says on their beta page:
Swype is pleased to offer an (updated) Android Beta! Here are the details:
- In English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, and introducing French and an early, *UNSTABLE* preview release of Chinese Pinyin
- Now includes support for Double-Tap-to-Edit, Cursor Restore, and Voice-to-Text (requires Google Voice Search be included in your system firmware)
- HVGA, WVGA, and WVGA854 Resolutions - don't worry we'll detect this automatically. Sorry, no QVGA
- Limited End User Support - mostly via our forum
- If your phone came pre-installed with Swype, DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)
It's unclear if the beta will close again. To be safe, go for it as quickly as possible.