Sony Highlights From GamesCom: PS3 Slim, PSP Go Minis, Price Drops
The new PS3 features a matte finish, a noticeably thinner profile (takes up 32% less space) and the same internal specifications as the existing "thick" PS3. Speaking of those, the 160GB and 80GB PS3 consoles are being discounted by a full $100 starting today, though in the case of the now-$299 80GB PS3, we can't understand why you wouldn't just wait a few days and secure a thinner version with more space for the same price.
Also in Germany, Sony introduced the new 3.0 firmware for the console, which enables users to control the PS3 XMB interface over HDMI through a BRAVIA TV remote. Kind of convoluted sounding, but for hardcore Sony fans, the harmony between devices is a real boon. Finally, the company took the time to introduce a new kind of game for the PSP, or actually, the PSP Go. Starting in October, users will be able to download 100MB "Minis" that act as small, quick titles that can be downloaded and enjoyed quickly. Sony didn't talk prices, but it did mention that MiniGore and Tetris will be amongst the first titles launched in the PSN Store.
We'll close by stopping where we started, with the new PS3 Slim. It will retail for $299 in America on September 1, while Europeans will pay 299 Euros on the same day and those in Japan will pay 29,980 Yen on September 3rd. The full specifications list on the new console is below.
- Product name: PlayStation 3
- Product code: CECH-2000A (Charcoal Black)
- CPU: Cell Broadband Engine™
- GPU: RSX
- Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
- Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
- Hard disk: 120GB 2.5" Serial ATA
- USB 2.0 ports: 2
- Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 (+EDR)
- Controller: Wireless Controller (Bluetooth) x 1
- AV outputs: HDMI x 1, AV MULTI OUT x 1, Digital out (optical) x 1
- Resolutions: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
- BD / DVD / CD drive (read only): BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
- Power: AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption: Approx. 250W
- External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part): Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
- Mass: Approx. 3.2kg
- Included in box: PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1