Skype Releases Android App
You can now use your Android-based phone to make Skype calls. The Skype for Android app lets you make calls to Skype accounts, mobile phones, or landlines. You can also send and receive text messages using the application when you're communicating with Skype friends.
“The Skype experience is ubiquitous today. More and more people are using Skype to do things together when apart. With the addition of Android, we are pleased that Skype is now available on three of the most popular mobile platforms today: Android, iOS and Symbian” said Mark Douglas, Product Manager of Android.
Skype for Android is available for smartphones running Android OS version 2.1 or above.
Skype for Android lets you:
- Make free Skype-to-Skype calls over Wi-Fi or mobile data connection (GPRS, EDGE, 3G)* to other Skype users anywhere in the world using Skype’s SILK codec for CD-like audio quality.
- Make low rate Skype calls to landline or mobile phones
- Send and receive instant messages to one or a group of friends on Skype
- Synchronize contacts between Skype and the native address book and after synchronization place Skype calls directly from the native address book.
- See when Skype contacts are online and available to call or chat
- Easily import names and numbers to the Skype application from the native address book
- Receive calls on your Skype online number
* In the US, Skype for Android works over Wi-Fi only. Skype for Android is not available in China and Japan at this moment. Operator charges may apply when consumers use data or roam over 3G, EDGE, GPRS.