Polycom Brings HD Video Collaboration To Tablets
Supported tablets include the iPad 2, Motorola Xoom, and Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1, although more tablets will be added at some point, as well. Users can download the software for free from the App Store or Android Market.
"RealPresence Mobile is a significant step toward achieving our vision to make it possible for millions of people to use video collaboration as their preferred method of communicating – easily, reliably, and securely – no matter what network, carrier, protocol, application, or device they use," said Andy Miller, president and CEO of Polycom, in a press release.
In addition to obvious use cases in an enterprise setting, Polycom RealPResence Mobile is designed for health care, government, education, and manufacturing purposes.
PLEASANTON, Calif. - Oct 11, 2011 : Polycom, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLCM), the global leader in standards-based unified communications (UC), today unveiled Polycom® RealPresence™ Mobile, the first enterprise HD video software solution for tablets, available today on Apple iPad™ 2, Motorola XOOM™, and Samsung GALAXY Tab™ 10.1, with more mobile devices to follow. Polycom RealPresence Mobile, powered by the Polycom® RealPresence™ Platform, extends Polycom's HD video collaboration technology beyond the office and conference room to deliver to tablets the same high-quality, secure, reliable video experience customers are accustomed to inside the office. Mobile professionals can use their tablet of choice to collaborate face-to-face with other colleagues joining via desktop and immersive video room systems, tablets, or laptops. The RealPresence Mobile software application is available via a free download from the Apple App StoreSM and Android Market™ beginning today. Polycom president and CEO Andy Miller will demonstrate the new mobile solution October 12, during his keynote address at the CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2011 conference in San Diego, Calif.
Delivering Polycom video to mobile platforms is a key component of the company's recently announced software strategy to bring secure HD video collaboration to the broadest range of business, video, mobile, and social networking applications.
"RealPresence Mobile is a significant step toward achieving our vision to make it possible for millions of people to use video collaboration as their preferred method of communicating – easily, reliably, and securely – no matter what network, carrier, protocol, application, or device they use," said Andy Miller, president and CEO of Polycom. "I've met with a hundred customers the past few months, and nearly every executive I talk with is looking to embrace mobility and tablets to improve business productivity. Customers who have seen our mobile applications running on Apple, Motorola, and Samsung tablets are truly inspired by the possibilities Polycom is enabling by extending video collaboration beyond the traditional boundaries of the conference room and desktop."
Now, whether in the field or on the road, in an airport lounge or working from home, or wherever business leads, customers can use a tablet to connect and collaborate face-to-face with colleagues, customers, partners, and suppliers. RealPresence Mobile allows customers to leverage Polycom's UC infrastructure to harness the benefits of video collaboration, increase the industry's highest ROI even further, and unleash the powerful network effect of HD video collaboration.
Drivers of the Visual Mobile Society
The network effect is already spreading video to the masses as human culture and technology becomes increasingly visual. The latest generation has been raised on video and social connectedness – 3 billion YouTube videos are streamed daily.1 Within this context, it's not surprising that video conferencing is also on the rise. UC and video collaboration is increasingly recognized as a mission-critical capability for businesses and a solution that pays for itself within months by reducing travel expenses while improving teamwork, collaborative decision making, organizational productivity, and employee and customer engagement.
Now, mobile video conferencing is poised for significant growth, driven by the demand for video communications, an increasingly remote workforce, and a convergence of technical advances. Today, organizations tend to be more geographically dispersed and virtual, with more than 1 billion teleworkers globally.2 At the same time, technology advancements are driving the visual mobile society, including the proliferation of camera-equipped mobile tablets and smartphones; the advent of 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi networks; and cloud delivered services. In fact, Gartner remains bullish on the opportunity for the media tablet market forecasting over 320 million units sold in 2015, with cumulatively over 900 million sold by the end of that year.3 And by 2015, the number of people participating in video chats is forecast to grow 14 times to more than 140 million.4
"Our employees are based around the world, with many remote or mobile most of the time, and it's critical that we're all able to collaborate securely face-to-face, regardless of location," said Ismayeel Syed, technical architect for Aviva, one of the world's largest insurance companies and the biggest in the UK, with 36,000 employees serving more than 44 million customers worldwide. "The ability to leverage our current video conferencing assets, and extend high-quality multi-point video capabilities to those outside the corporate office in a secure way, has been game-changing. Polycom RealPresence Mobile provides a true HD enterprise mobile video solution that we believe will have an additional, significant, positive impact at Aviva, extending even further our achievements in employee engagement, collaboration, and productivity. The use cases now seem truly limitless."
In addition to providing numerous benefits to enterprises customers, Polycom RealPresence Mobile brings a new level of portability, usability, and scalability to a number of vertical industries. For example:
* Healthcare – A physician can now use a tablet device to collaborate via video with medical experts to streamline telemedicine evaluations, speed diagnosis, and help save lives.
* Education – Students can stay connected virtually to professors, lectures, and course content whether in a classroom, a remote campus, or even at home.
* Government – Mobile response units can now share and analyze live on-site information in real-time with crisis centers and emergency teams to analyze the situation, deploy needed resources, and enhance decision making.
* Manufacturing – Manufacturers now have eyes and ears on the factory floor to remotely facilitate inspection, expedite diagnosis, and reduce time-to-market.
Powered by the Polycom RealPresence Platform for Enterprise Scale, Reliability, and HD Quality
Built on the Polycom RealPresence Platform, RealPresence Mobile provides benefits both for the IT teams who manage the system and colleagues who rely on it to connect and collaborate.
Polycom's enterprise mobile video software solutions deliver the essential provisioning, management, system interoperability, firewall traversal, and scalability that CIOs require, and the reliability, security, rich features, and lifelike quality that users demand, all of which drives higher productivity, adoption rates, and return on investment. The RealPresence Platform provides unparalleled scale – supporting up to 75,000 devices and 25,000 concurrent sessions – plus resiliency and universal bridging to support both on-premises and cloud-based delivery. Like all Polycom solutions, which are developed with an open standards-based approach to interoperability, RealPresence Mobile works seamlessly with the broadest range of related applications, protocols, call control systems, and end points.
For end users, Polycom RealPresence Mobile:
* Provides a high-quality video meeting experience with the familiarity of "in office" video conferencing that colleagues are accustomed to, and enables tablet users to join group video meetings with other colleagues joining via tablets, laptops, or desktop and immersive video room systems.
* Enables users to choose the device of their choice, supporting multiple operating systems including Android, iOS, and other platforms in the future.
* Features an intuitive user interface with system touch control for ease of use, including the ability to simultaneously view content shared from other participants and toggle back/forth between enlarging the content and other video participants on the tablet screen.
* Delivers the industry's best video and voice quality, including unique Polycom advances such as stereo echo cancellation, voice detection, and background noise suppression. Also, Polycom's exclusive Constant Clarity™ provides voice and video Loss Packet Recovery (LPR), which delivers a higher-quality experience over wireless networks.
* Supports firewall traversal and VPN (virtual private network) clients so that users can easily join a conference from any WiFi, 3G, or 4G network.
* Connects to the corporate directory, allowing users to place video calls with the touch of a name (available on iPad 2 today and soon on Android devices).
In the coming months, Polycom RealPresence Mobile combined with the RealPresence Platform will enable service providers to offer "video as a service" from the cloud, putting mobile collaboration in the hands of potentially tens of millions of users globally.
The Polycom RealPresence Mobile solution is available beginning today. All elements of the Polycom RealPresence Platform are currently available through Polycom's certified channel partners. For more information on RealPresence Mobile or the RealPresence Platform, go to polycom.com or call 1-800 POLYCOM.