OWC Reveals 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 2.5" SSD
The company's new Mercury Extreme Pro SSD range is now available, with units ranging from 60GB to 480GB in size. According to the company, these feature "sustained data rates of 285MBps," with an ultra-efficient block management and wear leveling technology that "prevents write speed degradation commonly experienced by other brands' SSD."
- One of the fastest Internal SATA 2.5" SSD with available data rates up to 285MB/s.
- SandForce DuraClass™ technology with Ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling offers highest endurance, performance, and power efficiency in a SATA SSD.
- SandForce® Processor maximizes read and write performance to greatly extend the endurance and overall reliability of the drive.
- Up to 100X greater data protection than what the highest rated enterprise class conventional hard disk drive (HDD) provides.
- Best in class error correction (ECC) and SandForce RAISE™ (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) technology provides RAID like data protection and reliability without loss of transfer speed due to parity.
- Intelligent "recycling" for advanced free space management
- Highly secure… all data automatically stored in AES-128 encrypted format.
- Designed and made in the US from imported parts.
As of today, this new line is only up for pre-sale, with prices as follows: 60GB ($219.99), 120GB ($379.99), 240GB ($699.99), 480GB ($1,579.99). If performance lines up, these could be real winners. A 480GB drive is more than enough for most average users, and to get that amount of space from a flash-based drive is just unheard of.