Kingston Debuts SSDNow Solid-State Drives
The SSDNow E Series is specifically designed for the enterprise server environment while the SSDNow M Series is built for the road warrior who demands ultimate performance from a notebook PC. The Kingston SSDNow E and M Series use Intel's solid-state drives, which are the best-performing drives on the market.
"We are thrilled to enter the solid-state drive market with our SSDNow E and M Series SSDs. The combination of the fastest SSDs in the world along with Kingston's tremendous distribution capabilities and legendary customer service will position us to succeed in this arena," said Mark Leathem, director of Flash business development, Kingston Digital. "The performance capabilities of these first two offerings are off the charts and our enterprise customers will be very pleased to use them in servers and corporate laptop computers."
The SSDNow E and M series drives create greater return on investment through increased performance due to impressive input and output operations per second (IOPS). The SSDNow E Series' higher IOPS means enterprises need significantly fewer SSDs compared to standard hard disk drives (HDD), which also leads to energy savings in a server environment. The SSDNow M Series high IOPS allows for faster boot times and quicker application load times which help mobile power users become even more productive.
Kingston's SSDNow uses a standard SATA hard disk drive interface but unlike an HDD, they are very rugged and can withstand shock and extreme environments as there are no moving parts. Kingston's SSDNow E and M Series drives are equipped with S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) to monitor the integrity and reliability of the drives. The drives are backed by a three-year warranty, 24/7 tech support and KingstonCare*, a comprehensive suite of tools and services designed to reduce downtime. For more information visit www.kingston.com.
Kingston SSDNow M and E Series Features and Specifications:
- Fast: SSDNow E Series: 250MB/sec. read, 170MB/sec. write; SSDNow M Series: 250MB/sec. read, 70MB/sec. write
- Durable: no moving mechanical parts, enabling the SSD to handle rougher conditions
- Guaranteed: backed by a three-year Kingston warranty, 24/7 tech support and KingstonCare* program
- Form factor: 2.5"
- Interface: SATA 1.5Gb/sec. and 3.0Gb/sec.
- Capacity**: SSDNow E Series: 32GB; SSDNow M Series 80GB
- Storage temperatures: -55° C to 95° C
- Operating temperatures: 0° C to 70° C
- Dimensions: SSDNow E Series: 69.85mm x 100mm x 7mm; SSDNow M Series: 69.85mm x 100mm x 9.5mm
- Weight: SSDNow E Series: 80 grams (+/- 2 grams); SSDNow M Series: 86 grams (+/- 2 grams)
- IOPS (Input and Output Operations Per Second): SSDNow E Series: Random 4K read: 35K; Random 4K write: 3.3K
- Vibration operating: 2.17 G (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 3.13 G (10–500Hz)
- Power specs***: SSDNow E Series: Active: 2.4 W TYP; Sleep: 0.06 W TYP; SSDNow M Series: Active: 0.15 W; Sleep 0.06 W TYP
- Life expectancy: SSDNow E Series: 2 million hours mean time before failure; SSDNow M Series: 1.2 million hours mean time before failure
- Operating shock: 1,000 G/0.5 msec operating and non-operating
** Some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. For more information, please consult Kingston’s Flash Memory Guide at Kingston.com/Flash_Memory_Guide.
*** Measurement based on IO meter
A quick survey of online stores shows the M-series 80GB selling for around $600