Amazon Releases Kindle Software Update 3.1
It should be noted that this update only applies to the latest generation Kindle, but those who have one can now get access to Public Notes, Real Page Numbers, 'Before You Go...', and a new newspaper and magazine layout. Customers can download and apply the update right away, and with all other Kindle software updates, this one is also free. The details on the four main additions is below.
Kindle Software Update Version 3.1 -- Early Preview Release
* Kindle Version 3.1 Overview
* Download the Early Preview Release -- Version 3.1
* Troubleshooting Update Issues
Kindle Version 3.1 Overview
We're excited to announce that a new, free software update is available for Kindle (Latest Generation). It's free and easy to download. Some of the features included in this update are:
* Public Notes -- This feature lets Kindle users choose to make their book notes and highlights available for others to see. Any Kindle user -- including authors, their fans, book reviewers, professors and passionate readers everywhere -- can opt-in to share their thoughts on book passages and ideas with friends, family members, colleagues, and the greater Kindle community of people who love to read. This is a new way for readers to share their excitement and knowledge about books and get more from the books they read. To review and turn on Public Notes in your own books, view the Public Notes of people you follow, track your reading activities, see Popular Highlights and your annotations, and view your full library of books, go to https://kindle.amazon.com. Learn more.
* Real Page Numbers -- Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. We've already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps in the coming months. If a Kindle book includes page numbers, press the Menu key in an open Kindle book to display page numbers. Learn more.
* Before You Go ... -- When you reach the end of the book, you can immediately rate the book, share a message about the book with your social network, get personalized recommendations for what to read next, and see more books by the same author. Learn more.
* New Newspaper and Magazine Layout -- We're introducing a new and improved layout for newspapers and magazines. This new layout gives you a quick snapshot of the news and helps you decide what you want to read first. Learn more.