If you have a Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, iOS, or Android
smartphone, your phone even now could be infected with spyware. However, it might be spyware that your significant other or spouse intentionally installed on your phone.
The software is ePhoneTracker. Released last week, ePhoneTracker allows users to monitor everything one on an "infected" smartphone, including the following:
- Every text message sent and received, including the full text ... even if the phone's logs are deleted.
- All incoming and outgoing call numbers along with duration and time.
- GPS positions captured at an variable rate, including a link to a map.
- All contacts in the phone's Contacts list.
- All websites visited using the web browser.
- All inbound and outbound emails from the primary email account.
In addition, the software allows an end user to call the phone and listen to the surroundings. It's precisely the type of software Elin Nordegren needed in order to keep tabs on Tiger Woods. However, ePhoneTracker has a huge list of legal caveats, and one has to wonder, reading them, if most users meet these requirements. They say:
Legal Terms and Policies
By purchasing ePhoneTracker you affirm and agree to all terms on this page.
It can be a federal and state offense to install surveillance software onto a phone which you do not have proper authorization in your region You are responsible for following all laws in your area.
We absolutely do not condone the use of our software for illegal purposes.
In order to purchase our software you MUST agree to the following conditions.
1. You acknowledge and agree that you own the mobile phone you will install the software onto OR that you have the expressed written consent of the owner to be an authorized administrator of the phone and its users.
2. If you install our software onto a phone which you do not own or have proper consent, we will cooperate with law officials to the fullest extent possible. This includes turning over requested customer data, and any other purchase/product related information.
3. You agree that you will check all local, state and federal laws to make sure you are complying with all laws in your region. It may be illegal in your region to monitor other individuals on your own device.
4. You agree to the conditions in our EULA (End-User License Agreement) below. This includes the fact that we are not liable for any type of damage, litigation, or legal predicaments that may arise due to use or abuse of ePhoneTracker or any other product.
The software costs $49.97 annually, and reportedly, it used to be called SpouseSpy. All the support documents found on the site seem to have the term in them.