World of Warcraft Loses 1 Million Subscribers, Still Wildly Popular

Activision Blizzard's mega popular MMORPG isn't called World of Warcrack for no reason, folks. The correct title, of course, is World of Warcraft (WoW), and it's been the leading cause for neglected hygiene for going on eight years. At last count, WoW was home to 9.1 million subscribers, Activision Blizzard revealed in its second quarter financial report.

That's a heck of a lot of subscribers -- enough to maintain the game's rank as the most popular subscription-based MMORPG around -- but it's also 1.1 million lower than the 10.2 million paying players that were roaming Azeroth back in February of this year. Is WoW's run coming to an end?

World of Warcraft Noblegarden

Probably not anytime soon, even if the drop in subscribers is much more steep than the decline from 10.3 million in September 2011 to 10.2 million in February 2012. It's still the world's most popular MMORPG, and it's a cash cow that can easily fund future development and expansions, like the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria  expansion slated to launch in September.

On the topic of revenue and profits, Activision Blizzard reported $1.057 billion in revenue for the second quarter, up from its $950 million projection in Q1. Diablo III is a big reason why, posting record breaking sales on the PC platform, with more than 3.5 million units sold via digital and retail combined in its first 24 hours alone.
Via:  PRNewswire
Comments
RTietjens 2 years ago

the next expansion will be released on 25 September, and I'd bet that WoW will regain at least 1 million, and possibly 2 million, for at least the rest of the year. This is not just a game, it's an ongoing, growing, changing world (or worlds, since each "realm" is effectively a world unto itself, even though cross-realm battles and such are now possible and popular). Nothing like it has been seen before; the other MMORPGs all taken together still don't have as many active players as WoW.

insidesin 2 years ago

WoW has certainly endured the trials of time, not what many mmos can say the same (ahem, Star Wars The Old Republic). However with Guild Wars 2 coming out, I would like to see how that will impact WoW subscribers as there has been much criticism of the Pandas invading in the next expansion.

EGuerrero 2 years ago

Incredible numbers, one of the best games for sure!

CDeeter 2 years ago

Hi my name is CDeeter and I'm a Warcrack Addict.

I can't help myself, every time I think I can stop, I end up starting a new toon. lol

Seriously though, I do enjoy it. It's a fun way to hang out with friends even though they are hundreds of miles away.

AKnudson 2 years ago

Maybe i am alone in this mindset but after watching Kung Fu Panda i was ready to do anything to wu-shi finger hold an enemy.

seriously if they dont have that particular ability in WOW they need to seriously reconsider what panda model they are looking at.

Wow has been a massive game, well actually a life style. people who play WOW faithfully generally do not brag to their friends about their new lexus, or driver. It generally runs along the lines of having invaded stormwind with only a group while slaying the master boss and every alliance player in the city.

But panda's is kinda far out there even in the virtual world of orcs, elves and undead. I think Wow ought o go take a look at their Warcraft 3 games and see why they were so popular and get back to the simplicity and honesty of ranking up and then testing your skill against an equally skilled opponent. Like take the huge dependence off of armor and stats and instead offer more offers that require practice such as skill shots and perhaps a rogue move that splits the character like the orginal blade master.

Kiristo 2 years ago

I can't believe that many people still play WoW. Even when I was playing it, I was bored much of the time. Maybe GW2 will take out some more subcribers. Everquest only went F2P just this year, so WoW will probably keep hanging around for awhile longer though.