We've Told You Ten Times: Get A Bigger Monitor

We're getting to be nags here at HotHardware news about this facet of computer upgrades, but once again, it's proven to be true: Bigger monitors make people more productive.

Researchers at the University of Utah tested how quickly people performed tasks like editing a document and copying numbers between spreadsheets while using different computer configurations: one with an 18-inch monitor, one with a 24-inch monitor and with two 20-inch monitors. Their finding: People using the 24-inch screen completed the tasks 52% faster than people who used the 18-inch monitor; people who used the two 20-inch monitors were 44% faster than those with the 18-inch ones. There is an upper limit, however: Productivity dropped off again when people used a 26-inch screen. (The order of the tasks and the order of computer configurations were assigned randomly.)

The beauty of this study is you can get your boss to pay for your bigger screen. Tell him it's science, after all. But remember, when your work monitor is finally the size of a drive-in movie screen, be careful clicking on those NSFW links at lunchtime, OK?
Tags:  monitor, Time, TIM, IM, Tor, ITO
Comments
frg1 6 years ago
a wonder if any of those tasks involved gaming because everybody knows the bigger the screen the better crysis looks but allowing you to play better too
Der Meister 6 years ago

some times i wish i had 2 22" lcd's

Lev_Astov 6 years ago
At home I've got a ~220" projection screen :P
frg1 6 years ago

how well does that work pretty good i would imagine

adamplays 6 years ago

wow. thats crazy. i'd have to imagine that you would have to sit pretty far away from that.

assuming 1080P (i HOPE to god its 1080p lol), you should sit 1.5 * diag inches away.

so thats 1.5 *220 = 330 inches/12 = 25 feet and 10 inches away.

LOL

p.s. thats just the recommended formula from sound & vision mag..

nECrO1967 6 years ago

Dual 22" or bigger is the way to go IMO. Just where do you get an 18" monitor anyway????? LOL. 17" and 19" I've heard of but 18" Am I the only one who has never seen an 18" monitor? Or are they talking about the viewable area of a 19" CRT???

Boy how our perceptions and expectations have changed! When I as on a 12 inch monochrome monitor, I would have killed for a 17 inch color display!

Unfortunately the bean counters will never understand this. The savings associated with increased productivity doesn't seem to compute in their spreadsheets. My Grand-dad used to say the first 10,000 people into hell were lawyers. Well surely the next 10,000 were accountants!   :)  (No offence to Lawyers or accounts intended)

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

I'm very content using my 32" 1080p TV as a monitor! Big Smile

nECrO1967 6 years ago

I have considered doing this, but have read that they (TV's) make poor monitors, especially for gaming. I'll take it that , that is bs. I don't know the people who have made those claims and Recovering's advice and opinions have proven good. So now I have something else on my wishlist. Thanks Recovering! Your costing me money!  :)

jtm55 6 years ago

[quote user="nECrO1967"]

Hi All

I'll second Recoverings recommendation. Until I got my HP LP3065 I was using a 32" Sharp 1080p LCD as a Monitor & it was great. I t has since been moved in the bedroom. Just make sure that if you go with a LCD TV, it's 1080p

AjayD 6 years ago
I can certainly see how a larger monitor would increase productivity. An 18" is tiny, since you would hardly be able to see what you were doing of course a 24" would allow you to accomplish more. Personally I don't really care for dual monitor setups because I find the black bars that separate the monitors too distracting. A 24" monitor is perfect for work, while a 30" is perfect for gaming and video.
Kamrooz 6 years ago

I'm still on a 19" crt =(. I'm completely skipping the LCD generation, I'm on hold for FED and OLED. I'll probably try to pick up a used Sony GDM-FW900 (24" widescreen trinitron CRT). Without a doubt the best monitor you can buy...But since they don't manufacture them anymore..It's a bit worrying. I'll use windas though to internally calibrate the convergence/brightness...and the focus pots to adjust the focus...But what I'm worried about is a aged tube...>_<..that can't be adjusted >_<.

ArSparfell 6 years ago

Dual monitor is actually the best setup you could find in my view.

Let me explain : I am currently working on a driving simulation for a club I'm part of ( we're competiting in the Shell Eco Marathon, more infos here : http://www.shell.com/home/content2/eco-marathon-en/welcome.html ).

I had to convert a Blender file to Ogre's mesh format. You know Blender ? Neither I do ^_^ !

Well I had, on my dual 24" displays : Ogre's documentation, Blender documentation, Blender open, Python's documentation (Blender runs pythons scripts), Windows command line, Python's command line ...

God bless dual screen configuration ! I just can't imagine what a mess and waste of time it would be if I had to switch between several windows on the desktop...

So, productivity is highly increased with dual screen setups :)

frg1 6 years ago

one good thing i heard about dual moniter setups is you can put your taskmanger on one moniter out of the way and  do whatever on the other moniter that way if there was a problem you can see what was running at that time and your cpu load etc

Grahf 6 years ago

I bet whitelist driven internet filters (or total lack of access for some) would raise productivity more than a bigger monitor Wink

trueg50 6 years ago

Well I certainly bet that they would make you more productive.

What I want to see is this same test done only after lunch, I would be willing to bet the difference would be ever greater. Let me tell you, looking at helpdesk tickets for an entire day gets really tough on a 17 inch LCD.

frg1 6 years ago

whats worse is that when i worked on the as a directv csr they divied about half the floor with really nice lcds big screen and the other half with some old crt that were big took up a lot of the desk and every other week you would switch desks so one week you have a nice big desk with lots of room to put all your papers whatever and the next week if you arent lucky you would have all your papers crammed into the corner with hardly any room to move your mouse

vicaphit 6 years ago

We have the same problem, I work in a call center as a csr/travel agent (more of a travel agent), and we have old CRT monitors, while our supervisors have nice LCD screens, and their computers are much faster.

ice_73 6 years ago