Sony Officially Names The NGP: PlayStation Vita Gaming Handheld Coming For $249

And now, we know the name for Sony's Next Generation Portable. The NGP, as it's called, will now be forever known as the PlayStation Vita, and unlike the PSPgo launch, it's looking more and more like Sony may just get this one right. The Vita will be sold as a standalone handheld gaming console (with Wi-Fi), or as a 3G device exclusively from AT&T. Sony Ericsson and AT&T have a longstanding relationship, so it's possible that the Sony roots there assisted in making this one available only to America's most hated network.

The PS Vita will sell for $249 (Wi-Fi) or $299 (3G), and the name itself is worth talking about. Vita means "Life" in Latin, and it's pretty obvious that Sony's hoping for this device to breath life into the company. Sony has been hammered recently by hacks and negative reaction to the handling of PSN's temporary shutdown, and it's good to see a bit of bright news passing through the desk.

The 5" multi-touch OLED is pretty impressive for a handheld, and there's also a rear touch pad, two analog sticks, and quite a few tricks up its sleeve. On January 27, 2011, SCE announced the first PS Vita application, "near," which will come pre-installed. It will let users discover what games PS Vita users in the vicinity are or were recently playing, as well as let users share their game information. "near" also enables location-based gaming features such as "gifting," in which a user can access virtual game-related items that other users are sharing, through checking in at geographic locations that others have also visited. The virtual items can include content unlocked from games, such as character costumes, weapons, and treasures. Sharing these items between users adds a unique dimension to the portable gaming experience on PS Vita while enhancing the social connectivity among the PS Vita community.

Additionally, PS Vita will come pre-installed with a newly developed application called "Party." "Party" is an innovative application for a portable entertainment system which enables users to enjoy voice chat or text chat not only during online gaming, but also when users are playing different games or using different applications such as internet browser. Through "Party," which offers a new form of social networking, and "near," which enables users to share their game information with other users anywhere, anytime, users can dramatically expand the boundaries of interactive communication.

Via:  Sony
Comments
pwrntspd 3 years ago

I was watching the event over on hulu today, wish i could have been there in person, and as soon as he said 249 i couldnt help but smile. I can say with confidence that i will be the proud owner of one of these devices some time next year (gotta wait for the platform to settle a bit). Oh and Sony, nice job competing with Nintendo. At this price point it is most definitely a tight competitor with the 3DS. Cant wait!

omegadoom13 3 years ago

"So, is anyone in, or have mobile phones already replaced the standalone handheld gaming system?"

Good question. If the Sony Playstation Vita could also make phone calls, send texts, browse the internet, take pictures, record HD video, cook dinner for me every night, all that for under $300, then I might get one. :P

Seriously, I like the Playstation Vita, and I'm glad I don't have any teenage children.

AKwyn 3 years ago

Well; I would of liked to see the RAM kept at 512 MBs but other then that; it seems pretty nice. I don't think it'll able to make cellular phone calls but I'm guessing it will be able to make Skype calls.

The name is not doing to do anything to make Sony detractors change their mind though.

LBowen 3 years ago

There are a number of PSP games I have been wanting to try so sign me up for one; just have to work a couple more hours to swing this purchase.

omegadraco 3 years ago

Not for me. I have not bought a Sony product in years. Although I have not been able to avoid buying any Sony music/video products but would like to. I'd rather use my phone for those occasional times where I need a mobile gaming platform.

imAcpufan 3 years ago

I'm considering picking this up. I avoided the original psp years ago because of the cost of getting memory cards for it, and I need at least 16gb at the time.

I think there is definite competition from high end smartphones, but given the controllers on this one, I think it has an advantage in that sense. I love my HTC Desire, but I sometimes wish I had more to use than just the touchscreen when it comes to games.

I'm really diggin' the fact that they put two sticks on this one.

OSunday 3 years ago

I feel like the vita has alot of potential as far as hardware but there's so many options for control (rear touch sensitive panel, standard thumbstick and button controls, the gyroscope for motion and the touch screen) that game developers will end up trying to make games that utilize these features rather than focusing on gameplay it's self.

That being said the Playstation Vita still has alot of promise