Mac users, you aren't being snubbed any longer. Today, Skype for Mac has been revealed in Beta, bringing the same features that version 5.0 already delivered on the PC side to OS X users. The new Skype
5.0 for Mac introduces a revised user interface, and as Skype says, a "more Mac-like experience."
For example, the Skype app has been brought together in one window for ease-of-use, and the Mac address book has been integrated, making it possible for you to call, IM and SMS your contacts when they are online or offline. This build also highlights a new feature, group video calling, which is basically a teleconference option for Skype. Users can make video calls with over two people as long as all participants are on the new Mac beta or Skype for Windows 5.0.
It's available to download now free of charge.
It was worth the wait – the new Skype 5.0 is now available for Mac today in beta, introducing a revamped look and feel that simplifies navigation and provides a more Mac-like experience. For example, the Skype app has been brought together in one window for ease-of-use, and the Mac address book has been integrated, making it possible for you to call, IM and SMS your contacts when they are online or offline.
The new Skype for Mac also offers our popular new feature - group video calling - which allows you to make video calls with more than two people at a time as long as all participants are on the new Mac beta or Skype for Windows 5.0. Group video calling brings people together like never before, allowing you to do more things together with your friends, family and colleagues whenever you are apart.
The new Skype for Mac also includes the following new features:
* New call control bar — Hang up, mute and more from a mini Skype toolbar that sits on top of any web pages, documents or photos you’ve got open
* Search chat content to easily navigate past conversations
* Offline IM so that you can send and receive instant messages even if the recipient is offline
* Personalise contacts via user profiles
* Quickly rejoin calls if your Internet connection fails momentarily
* Floating Contacts Monitor to see your online contacts and contact groups
Try out the new Skype for Mac in beta and tell us what you think using the Skype > Provide Skype Feedback menu item. And stay posted as we roll out the official version soon.