Kids today know nothing of dragging a sagging pants pocket full of quarters or tokens to the local arcade, which means they also missed out on some gaming classics, like Rampage, Defender, Joust, and Spy Hunter. Sure, they're a little lame by today's standards, but if you have a nostalgic itch to scratch, $0.99 and a trip to Apple's App Store will scratch it. Warner Bros. Interactive just released its Midway Arcade App for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices, a collection of 10 classic arcade titles, including the ones previously mentioned.
The full list, as described by WB, includes the following:
- Spy Hunter: Race down a freeway in an armed sports car and destroy enemies while protecting civilian vehicles;
- Rampage: Reduce the city to rubble as gigantic monsters George (a King-Kong-like gorilla), Lizzie (a Godzilla-like dinosaur/lizard), and Ralph (a giant werewolf);
- Defender: Defeat waves of invading aliens while protecting astronauts in this 2D shooting game;
- Joust: While riding a flying ostrich, fight to defeat enemy knights riding buzzards;
- Root Beer Tapper: As the bartender, serve beer and collect empty mugs and tips without letting the thirsty patrons’ patience expire;
- Arch Rivals: In this Basket Brawl, outscore opponents as a crowd pleaser, rebound king, a defensive giant and more;
- Skill-Based Games: Beat your friends’ top scores in Pool, Air Hockey, Roll Ball and Basketball.
That's six titles, plus four skill-based games, for a grand total of 10. WB is asking $0.99 for the entire lot, along with $0.99 each for two optional game packs, including the Fantasy Game Pack (Gauntlet 1+2 and Wizard of Wor) and Action Game Pack (APB, NARC, Total Carnage). If you grab them all, that works out to 16 games for a little less than $3, or about an hour's worth of quarters back in the day.
You trip back in time starts here.