Microsoft Unveils Limited Time $40 Upgrade Offer to Windows 8 Professional

We understand not everyone is as excited about Windows 8 as Microsoft is. Whether it's the Metro UI, Start button shenanigans, or the fact that Windows 7 works just fine, thank you very much (or a combination of all three), Microsoft hopes its discounted upgrade offer will convince hesitant upgraders to take a leap of faith. It will only cost them $40.

If your PC is running a legit copy of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you're eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Professional for $40 (download) or $70 (physical copy) at Windows.com. After you upgrade, you can choose to add Windows Media Center for free through the "add features" option.

"You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files," Microsoft explains in blog post. "Of course, if you want to start fresh, you can choose to bring nothing along. Or if you prefer to format your hard drive as part of your upgrade experience, you can do so as long as you boot from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows 8, not prior to it."

The upgrade offer is available both online and at retail through January 31, 2013, and is one of several ways Microsoft hopes to get Windows 8 on your system. Another way is by offering a $15 upgrade option to Windows 8 Professional when you buy a qualified Windows 7 PC. And let's not forget that if you purchase a PC for college, Microsoft will hook you up with a free Xbox.

Microsoft's $40/$70 upgrade offer will be available once the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) build is released.
Via:  Microsoft
Comments
timaeus 2 years ago

$40? Not bad. Much better than the usual >$100. Might actually consider migrating this time, rather than just waiting for a new build. Will wait until I've seen all the reviews, of course.

CDeeter 2 years ago

That seems reasonable, especially since it's for Win Pro. And the upgrade path sounds fairly painless to boot.

rmsnowco 2 years ago

Now all we need is a patch so it works just like Windows 7.

fat78 2 years ago

At first I hated windows 8, but now I am starting to enjoy it. Not sure why my opinion has changed, I just like the feeling of windows 8 now that I have gotten more use to it. The start menu is still a little annoying though, many times I find my self clicking on it for stuff that I had to pin to my task bar to make finding things easier.

eunoia 2 years ago

I'm not super-excited about Win8, but the deal is pretty hard to resist.

fat78 2 years ago

I have only decided to purchase windows 8 because it turns out student copies of windows expire when the person no longer attends the school they purchased it from (sadly I did not know that when I bought windows 7)

If my windows copy didn't expire, I would say it is a waste of money to upgrade.

AEspino 2 years ago

I HATE how Windows 8 looks!!! I mean for Tablets, and stuff that works but not for a desktop pc.. Sorry that build stinks! I will never upgrade I don't care if it's free!!! I Will not upgrade from Windows 7... There is NOTHING wrong with Windows 7! It's by far the best Windows OS to date... I think that Windows 8 will be a major flop for Microsoft, and I predict they will bring out another build or patch for it which makes it look more traditional to make people happy.

tutingay 2 years ago