Microsoft Hits 2 Million In Sales With Windows Phone 7

Last quarter, Microsoft sold more than 2 million units of its Windows Phone 7 software to various handset makers. Although the sales numbers represents a strong start for the new mobile operating system, Microsoft still has a long way to go if it hopes to catch up to Apple's iPhone or Google's Android operating system.

Some analysts have said one of the key factors that will affect the success of Windows Phone 7 will be the app store and the availability of popular applications. According to Microsoft, there are now more than 6,500 apps in the online marketplace for Windows Phone 7. This is a good start for the platform.

"The numbers show pretty good momentum on the sales of the platform," said Al Hilwa, an analyst at technology research firm IDC. "Anecdotally almost everyone who has seen the phone has commented on the style and fluidity of the interface. The apps numbers are excellent for this early stage of the lifecycle."

Microsoft licenses the Windows Phone 7 software to handset makers such as Samsung, LG, and HTC. To help put the Microsoft numbers into perspective, Apple announced that it had sold 16.2 million iPhones last quarter. RIM sold 14.2 million BlackBerry smartphones in a similar timeframe and Google claims 300,000 Android devices are sold each day.

Via:  Yahoo
Comments
coolice 3 years ago

two million... not bad at all.

As per googles claims for selling 300k devices each day, oh man, seems unrealistic. Thats 3million devices in 10 days.... 9 million devices in 1 month, and ~27 million devices in 1 quarter, 108 million devices in 1 year.... Seriously google?

acarzt 3 years ago

16.2 million iphones were sold in 1 quarter, and it's only carried on 1 network.

Android is on MANY MANY phones across pretty much all carriers.

27 Mil a Quarter seems very plausible.

3vi1 3 years ago

>> As per googles claims for selling 300k devices each day, oh man, seems unrealistic.

And yet it's true. They confirmed the number in their 4q earnings statement - and you don't go lying there.

It makes sense too, as they wouldn't have caught Apple (who was activating 230,000 iPhones a day, last I looked) so quickly otherwise.

2 million is pretty pitiful in this market.

acarzt 3 years ago

Also, I would like to add that I am enjoying my WP7 phone, altho I would like more apps :-)

There are not very many goods ones available, and you have to pay for everything....

coolice 3 years ago

Hmm... guess its true... i did get the HTC Dream, and now i'm on the Motorola Milestone, both android powered devices, both purchased within 24 months.

3vi1 3 years ago

To give MS some credit: I think that 2 million's probably not that bad for 2.5 months *if* people think of it as a completely new OS (although WinPho7 shouldn't really qualify in that regard - as it's just Windows Mobile+1).

The main thing is that future growth in this market seems to be directly tied to the installation base x new features (Ironically, it's similar to the desktop arena). So, I don't see MS significantly threatening Symbian, RIM, Android, or Apple.

MCaddick 3 years ago

"WinPho7 shouldn't really qualify in that regard - as it's just Windows Mobile+1"

You obviously have no clue about WP7 if you actually believe what you just said.

3vi1 3 years ago

I think you misunderstood me (because I worded it poorly). I didn't mean it as in being an iterative version of the same code; I meant it as just being the lastest Windows phone OS - which should have ensured them a place with all the users 6.5 previously occupied (yet they only sold 500,000 in December).

Dave_HH 3 years ago

I just picked up a Samsung Focus for my son. It's a really nice 4" WP7 device. I'm relatively impressed with it and of course he's gaga over because he can ping his buds on the Xbox even when he's not home.

coolice 3 years ago

i was playing with a friends Focus as well.... I have to admit... as an Android user... i was impressed. I'm willing to sacrifice customizability of android for that device... everything ran smooth, it looked great! didnt heat up after a 20 minute conversation (yea, my milestone gets hot)

Sure there might not be too many apps, i hardly use any apps to begin with... I was impressed. And i never thought i'd say this.... but i'm considering a win7 in my next upgrade, which is still another 8 months from now

inspector 3 years ago

HEHE dave, your son will live the best tech life there is :D

WP7 still needs some catching up to the others.

AGuzzi 3 years ago

2 Million? I don't think so. How can this be? I don't know a single person that has one of these things.